Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday I received a new salinity probe tester. I don’t remember exactly what it is called….but is supposed to be the most accurate and extremely fragile. It just floats in the water. Anyway, levels measured roughly 1.024-025…right in the middle of the green indicator. Went to LFS and got a refractometer as well. Measured the salinity again today, with both pieces of equipment, and they read the same but it is 1.022.

I did notice one of my new clowns was kind of sideways swimming when I got up this morning. He seems fine now. Swam like heck to eat when I fed them.

Question is…what is the best way to raise the salt level? Id assume i do some water change? Do I put in a little higher level of salt water? Add salt directly to the tank (I assume no)?

Tank is a 40g breeder.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Mjl714

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add salt directly into your display tank. Gradually do water changes with saltwater that has the salinity you target. 1.022 if it was arrived at gradually, generally wont hurt much in your new setup. I do find it interesting that your salinity went down, do you have an ato?

LiLinka

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first calibrate refractometer and the probe to ensure an accurate reading. Don’t calibrate with freshwater. Calibrate it with 1.025 calibration liquid you can find online. The 1.022 salinity should not affect the clownfish swimming sideways. Fish like 1.022-1.023 salinity actually. most Clownfish do that as a sign of dominance to other clownfish or tank mates. As far as raising the salinity. Whenever you top off instead of adding freshwater add saltwater let mix for a few hours then retest. No need to do a water change to raise salinity, it naturally raises as water evaporates. I would also test salinity of your salt water mix and make sure that is at your desired level. Hope this helps! Happy reefing!

BRS
OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the water premixed from LFS, didn’t have a salinity reader when I started, so it potentially could have been 1.022 from the start. LFS said it should be 1.024-1.025…so I am shooting for that.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back