Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I had huge algae blooms in the past 2 months. I tried everything; reduced lighting, water changes, reduced feeding, more cuc members, added a tang, and i'm still struggling with algae. It is all hair algae. I have to clean it out almost every other day because it grows back so fast. Please let me know of any advice to fix this.

Avast
Nutramar Foods

John Bolden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but once that period is done what is stopping it from coming back?
The black out will kill the algea but what we need is: perimeters, Do you use RODI if so what is your TDS and what is stocked. You also can try a Reef flux treatment to kill all the algea. The down side to a flux treatment is that it kills the majority of your biome in your reef.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black out will kill the algea but what we need is: perimeters, Do you use RODI if so what is your TDS and what is stocked. You also can try a Reef flux treatment to kill all the algea. The down side to a flux treatment is that it kills the majority of your biome in your reef.
I can give parameters when I get home later. I use distilled water. I have 1 clown, 1 tomini tang, 1 flame hawk, 1 green mandarin, and 1 midas blenny.

Corals.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The down side to a flux treatment is that it kills the majority of your biome in your reef
This is false. Fluconazole is an antifungal and does not affect the "biome". If anything, it might kill off any desirable macro in your fuge during treatment.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is no fluconazole. I know many people use it. I have only used it once and it did kill the hair algae but then the tank was overrun with cyano. I'll take gha over cyano any day.
EDIT : can you post a pic under white lights showing how bad the issue is?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is no fluconazole. I know many people use it. I have only used it once and it did kill the hair algae but then the tank was overrun with cyano. I'll take gha over cyano any day.
I just cleaned most of the algae out yesterday so you wouldn't be able to see it. It will grow back soon though.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to clean it out every few days before it gets too bad again.

AquaCave Logo Banner

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Just asking because so many people freak out over some algae when it's actually pretty normal and many times just a phase IME. Manual removal along with a good clean up crew is the most natural way to deal with it.
I always have gha in my larger tank and have gotten used to it. It doesn't really bother corals and is home to benificial critters like pods and micro brittle starts.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Just asking because so many people freak out over some algae when it's actually pretty normal and many times just a phase IME. Manual removal along with a good clean up crew is the most natural way to deal with it.
I always have gha in my larger tank and have gotten used to it. It doesn't really bother corals and is home to benificial critters like pods and micro brittle starts.
It's about a year and a half old. I had a smaller outbreak of algae in the first couple months which I know was normal, but just lately it has gotten out of control.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about a year and a half old. I had a smaller outbreak of algae in the first couple months which I know was normal, but just lately it has gotten out of control.
What are your nutrient levels? What type of lighting do you use?

Nutramar Foods

Graemesreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your cuc and tang aren't helping and its growing back that quickly you could be dealing with lyngbya which in some forms can look very similar to gha. Pictures are a must asap as the two are totally different beasts and treatment will be almost opposite. Dont start anything until you get a positive id as you can make things worse than they already are.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your cuc and tang aren't helping and its growing back that quickly you could be dealing with lyngbya which in some forms can look very similar to gha. Pictures are a must asap as the two are totally different beasts and treatment will be almost opposite. Dont start anything until you get a positive id as you can make things worse than they already are.
I don't have any pictures in white light, but i can get one when I get home.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Corals.com
Back