Need help with extremely high nitrate!!!

dans85

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added a few corals this week and I’ve noticed some “burnt tips” on new acros. I started testing and came up with the following

Cal- 480
Mag-1600
Alk-8.5
NO3- 350!!!!!!
PO4 -0
System is 300g display with 50g frag tank started with dry/mined rock and fritz turbo start.

Tank is about 3 months old, no fish are currently in the system. All other sps other than acros and lps are looking great. Using redsea test kit for cal, API for phosphate,(just ordered a Hanna) and Hanna for others. Nitrate was tested with the Hanna HR checker and diluted to 10% aquarium water with ro/di. Di water tested at 0.0 with the same kit. I know cal, mag, and alk are elevated, but that’s what my current salt mix is at out of the box, using fritz blue box. New PO4 checker should be here in a few days. What would be the best course of action here? I’ve never experienced nitrate this high.

CLICK TO VIEW

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added a few corals this week and I’ve noticed some “burnt tips” on new acros. I started testing and came up with the following

Cal- 480
Mag-1600
Alk-8.5
NO3- 350!!!!!!
PO4 -0
System is 300g display with 50g frag tank started with dry/mined rock and fritz turbo start.

Tank is about 3 months old, no fish are currently in the system. All other sps other than acros and lps are looking great. Using redsea test kit for cal, API for phosphate,(just ordered a Hanna) and Hanna for others. Nitrate was tested with the Hanna HR checker and diluted to 10% aquarium water with ro/di. Di water tested at 0.0 with the same kit. I know cal, mag, and alk are elevated, but that’s what my current salt mix is at out of the box, using fritz blue box. New PO4 checker should be here in a few days. What would be the best course of action here? I’ve never experienced nitrate this high.

75% water change

edit: Sorry, I would initially suggest double check with another test like salifert.
Check Nitrite if you have a test kit, as that can interfere with Nitrate tests.

If the Hanna is going purple very quickly during the shaking, it would indicate Nitrite interference

Nutramar Foods

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure that diluting with RODI will get you an accurate result... idk if the test somehow relies on a normal salinity level...?
You're correct. I missed that.

You must dilute with freshly mixed seawater.

AS

Not woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just to make sure, make sure you aren’t mixing up your Hanna tests. I swear I accidentally switched my phosphate regent for my nitrate regent and my phosphates said like 100 ppm and I was freaking out for a minute until I realized that I used the wrong regent.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cal- 480
Mag-1600
Alk-8.5
NO3- 350!!!!!!
PO4 -0

Is the nitrite level 0 ppm?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how you get to nitrate 350 ppm without fish to feed.

I agree that nitrite interference may be an issue, or other test error.

I would not proceed to massive water changing based on what is most likely not a real value.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back