Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to create a somewhat natural looking scene in a reef tank. It seems to me that most tanks end up being a smorgasbord of corals with many different frags/colonies of corals packed together. However, in the ocean, it's much more likely to find whole stands of a single type of coral and much larger colonies than typically found in aquariums. I have a 12 gallon nano that I would like to upgrade to a ~25ish gallon tank. In the new tank I want to dedicate the new space to a single type of branching sps coral. My goal is a 1-3 largeish colonies of one type. I want the additional stocking to shelter/host/school in the branches of the colony.

To reiterate I am looking for:
  • A fast-growing, robust branching coral with enough space between the branches to allow a small fish to shelter.
  • A shoaling fish that will shelter/host/school in the branches of branching coral.
These are some inspiration photos:
Some corals I think might work:
  • Bali Green Slimer
  • Birds Nest (this might make too dense of branches for what I want)
Some fish species that might work
  • Bangaii Cardinalfish
  • Blue-green Chromis
What are some other corals I should look at and some other fish. Do you think this plan will work in a tank this small?

Avast
OP
OP
Z

zdrc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like damsels, but I don't think the tank is large enough for them. I'm convinced that they need to be maintained in larger groups (like 10 or more) to diffuse aggression and that's just not possible in this tank.

I was brainstorming some and I think some schooling gobies like the Masked Goby, Trimma species or Evoita species could work too.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back