Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Starfire lighting system from Reef Radiance. Problem is I have two friends coming tomorrow to help me take out previous lighting system from my canopy, and retrofit the Starfire boxes in. My question is how much clearance do I need from the top of thr canopy down to the boxes? The canopy is 21 inches high over the tank, and is completely open in the back. The tank is 6 feet long, and I'm installing three Starfire units.

I emailed earlier today, but haven't heard back. The company is in California, so I can't reach them while my help is available in the morning due to the time difference.....

Nutramar Foods

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea but let me tag some people who may be able to help ASAP

[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have no experience with your exact light, I think you'll want to determine how far above the waterline you'll want them. A quick search indicated they come with a hanging kit. Do you have that hanging kit and is it adjustable once installed? That could provide some flexibility.

I would doubt your goal will be anywhere near 21" above the waterline, so you should have ample room above/between the light fixture and the canopy. The lights should have plenty of circulation if that is your concern, especially with the open back.

Without specific answers I would recommend removing the old lights and playing around with the new ones (read hand hold them) until you find the height at which will optimize the spread. Then you can determine the method by which to hang them in the canopy, be it the hanging kit if available, or some other method.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

OP
OP
Khackman

Khackman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have no experience with your exact light, I think you'll want to determine how far above the waterline you'll want them. A quick search indicated they come with a hanging kit. Do you have that hanging kit and is it adjustable once installed? That could provide some flexibility.

I would doubt your goal will be anywhere near 21" above the waterline, so you should have ample room above/between the light fixture and the canopy. The lights should have plenty of circulation if that is your concern, especially with the open back.

Without specific answers I would recommend removing the old lights and playing around with the new ones (read hand hold them) until you find the height at which will optimize the spread. Then you can determine the method by which to hang them in the canopy, be it the hanging kit if available, or some other method.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

It is not adjustable, but I'm getting similar materials tomorrow morning at Lowe's.

BRS

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Yes, they sell the wire and crimp ends, etc. You just have to use your imagination...lol. Just remember, if you can find the sweat spot for spread, you can adjust the intensity of the lights as needed.

You got this...good luck.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back