Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, i went to my fish shop today, and got 2 new fish for my tank. However the guy at the shop didnt tell me what species they were, or at least i didnt hear him say it. I know that its not something that will kill everything in my tank, because i trust the guy and have been going to his shop for a while, just a simple species name so i know what i have is all i request.

[Sorry for poor photo quality i kinda suck at picture taking]

20220401_135550.jpg 20220401_135545.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, i went to my fish shop today, and got 2 new fish for my tank. However the guy at the shop didnt tell me what species they were, or at least i didnt hear him say it. I know that its not something that will kill everything in my tank, because i trust the guy and have been going to his shop for a while, just a simple species name so i know what i have is all i request.

[Sorry for poor photo quality i kinda suck at picture taking]

View attachment 2615478 View attachment 2615479

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Those are Coral catfish, Plotosus lineatus. They grow to around 10" long. They are really hardy and disease resistant.

They turn gray when grown (sigh). They also have venomous spines, don't get stuck by them!

1648850961019.png

Jay

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those are coral catfish. I don't think that they are safe as adults with inverts/small fish, but they should be fine for now. If they aren't in the tank yet, don't move them with a net. They have venomous spines that can get stuck in nets, and due to the aforementioned venomous spines, they can be dangerous to remove from the net. I hope that this helps!

OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Those are Coral catfish, Plotosus lineatus. They grow to around 10" long. They are really hardy and disease resistant.

They turn gray when grown (sigh). They also have venomous spines, don't get stuck by them!

View attachment 2615544

Jay
Amazing, thank you i did a google search and it matches pretty closely with what i have. Once again i appreciate the assistance.

OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those are coral catfish. I don't think that they are safe as adults with inverts/small fish, but they should be fine for now. If they aren't in the tank yet, don't move them with a net. They have venomous spines that can get stuck in nets, and due to the aforementioned venomous spines, they can be dangerous to remove from the net. I hope that this helps!
I did move them with a net, however i am happy to inform you that moving them in went well and the werent hurt at all. Ill be sure to keep an eye to see if they do mess with my other fish though.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did move them with a net, however i am happy to inform you that moving them in went well and the werent hurt at all. Ill be sure to keep an eye to see if they do mess with my other fish though.
I'm glad that you and the fish are OK. I remember that back when I had a freshwater tank, a pictus catfish got stuck in a net. That was a rodeo. By the way, I forgot to mention that they can be bulldozers to any coral on the sand. Good luck with the fish!

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that you and the fish are OK. I remember that back when I had a freshwater tank, a pictus catfish got stuck in a net. That was a rodeo. By the way, I forgot to mention that they can be bulldozers to any coral on the sand. Good luck with the fish!
Thank you, and good luck with your future endeavors in the hobby as well

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back