+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I need help identifying what is wrong with my Foxface. I’ve had him for 6 months and have had no problems with him until now. It appears there is brown on his pectoral fins and they’re looking thin. I’m thinking fin rot.. but he’s never had any problems and my water quality is perfect. Just wondering what I should do to treat him and if I have to remove him to do so. All other fish are fine and he’s eating like normal.

EFBB70C4-BCC1-41C0-AA86-5C7C5E326E06.jpeg 7634E089-03A7-46B8-AA4B-74AA05BFE7A4.jpeg
E9501D22-A6A9-4DCF-A2AC-FEFE14D9BF85.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I see bacterial issue and not sure if fish have dots or if its debris on the tank glass. The fish will have to be quarantined in a separate tank and treated with seachem Kanaplex.
Clearer pics under white lighting will be helpful
Is fish eating and breathing normal?
Increase aeration during quarantining with an air stone addition

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking thin
Yes. I don't know what you've been feeding your fishes. I also don't know if the fish you put into the DT were previously quarantined and if so, treated with anything.

I'm glad your water quality is 'perfect' so the next concern is proper nutrition. Check out the Fish Nutrition post. If the fish is still eating (hopefully) feed it with supplements for an ill fish, found in the linked post.

Definitely need an antibiotic treatment. Do you have any fish antibiotics on hand?

Good luck!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see bacterial issue and not sure if fish have dots or if its debris on the tank glass. The fish will have to be quarantined in a separate tank and treated with seachem Kanaplex.
Clearer pics under white lighting will be helpful
Is fish eating and breathing normal?
Increase aeration during quarantining with an air stone addition
No dots on the fish, that’s just debris or micro bubbles. I do have Kanaplex on hand as I figured that’s what I would treat with. The fish is eating and breathing normally, acting his norm.

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I don't know what you've been feeding your fishes. I also don't know if the fish you put into the DT were previously quarantined and if so, treated with anything.

I'm glad your water quality is 'perfect' so the next concern is proper nutrition. Check out the Fish Nutrition post. If the fish is still eating (hopefully) feed it with supplements for an ill fish, found in the linked post.

Definitely need an antibiotic treatment. Do you have any fish antibiotics on hand?

Good luck!
Sorry the fish isn’t looking thin just his fins look a bit frail. All my fish eat a variety of foods.. nori, mysis, brine etc and sometimes soak it in selcon. All fish are fat and happy.. just noticed this bacterial thing in the last day or two.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No dots on the fish, that’s just debris or micro bubbles. I do have Kanaplex on hand as I figured that’s what I would treat with. The fish is eating and breathing normally, acting his norm.
Great- Maintain good water quality and utilize the kanaplex

CLICK TO VIEW

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the fish isn’t looking thin just his fins look a bit frail. All my fish eat a variety of foods.. nori, mysis, brine etc and sometimes soak it in selcon. All fish are fat and happy.. just noticed this bacterial thing in the last day or two.
Got it.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Agree fish looks good with regards to body mass.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post clearer pics under white light? A video would help as well...I just cannot see clearly enough to have an opinion on what might be going on.

Jay

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 3 doses of Kanaplex had zero effect, fish actually looks worse now..

Attachments

• 6220FFE4-85F9-435E-948E-676120838B58.jpeg
    6220FFE4-85F9-435E-948E-676120838B58.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 16
  • E0D0F209-4FBB-4CB1-BCDA-85B933A06B2D.jpeg
    E0D0F209-4FBB-4CB1-BCDA-85B933A06B2D.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 7689D28C-7D61-4249-98C3-CE46FADEBE5E.jpeg
    7689D28C-7D61-4249-98C3-CE46FADEBE5E.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post clearer pics under white light? A video would help as well...I just cannot see clearly enough to have an opinion on what might be going on.

Jay
Sorry Jay, just saw this.. I posted an update above. After 3 rounds of Kanaplex there was no improvement. It’s a brown (almost looks like algae) on the fins and right under his mouth on his chin. Eating and acting normal otherwise.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Jay, just saw this.. I posted an update above. After 3 rounds of Kanaplex there was no improvement. It’s a brown (almost looks like algae) on the fins and right under his mouth on his chin. Eating and acting normal otherwise.

I've never seen this before, almost looks like algae. Foxface are unique in that they shed their cuticle (outer skin) like lionfish and scorpionfish do. In the scorpionfish, this is in response to clearing the skin of epiphytes (algae growths). I don't know why foxface do this, but maybe the same reason? If so, the shedding process sometimes gets stalled out, allowing algae to grow on the scorpionfish, maybe on foxface also?

One thing you could try is erythromycin - that is an antibiotic that kills cyanobacteria, which this very well could be. Additionally, if I'm wrong and this is a regular bacterial issue, then changing the antibiotic is still warranted since the Kanaplex isn't working.

Jay

BRS
OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen this before, almost looks like algae. Foxface are unique in that they shed their cuticle (outer skin) like lionfish and scorpionfish do. In the scorpionfish, this is in response to clearing the skin of epiphytes (algae growths). I don't know why foxface do this, but maybe the same reason? If so, the shedding process sometimes gets stalled out, allowing algae to grow on the scorpionfish, maybe on foxface also?

One thing you could try is erythromycin - that is an antibiotic that kills cyanobacteria, which this very well could be. Additionally, if I'm wrong and this is a regular bacterial issue, then changing the antibiotic is still warranted since the Kanaplex isn't working.

Jay
Interesting, so it may be nothing at all, just normal shedding? The fish was fine up until a few weeks ago. Is the erythromycin something that can be dosed in the display tank? Any recommendations in way of medications?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, so it may be nothing at all, just normal shedding? The fish was fine up until a few weeks ago. Is the erythromycin something that can be dosed in the display tank? Any recommendations in way of medications?
No, I've dose Erythromycin in FOWLR, but I don't think I would try that in a reef.

I don't think this is normal shedding, but rather, something wrong with the shedding mechanism - just a guess though.....

Jay

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I've dose Erythromycin in FOWLR, but I don't think I would try that in a reef.

I don't think this is normal shedding, but rather, something wrong with the shedding mechanism - just a guess though.....

Jay
Hmm interesting.. not sure what I should do. The fish is acting normally I’m wondering if I just ride it out for a while and see how he does. I feel like I’m putting more stress by quarantining etc.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interesting.. not sure what I should do. The fish is acting normally I’m wondering if I just ride it out for a while and see how he does. I feel like I’m putting more stress by quarantining etc.

Sorry that I can't give you better direction on this!

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back