Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 2+ years old, NO3: 12, PO4: 0.09, Alk: 8.5, Ca: 450, Mg: 1400. Photo period is 12hr. SPS dominated with chalices and some softies.

Algae: brown, plating, rubbery feel that grows on the bottom glass, back wall, and rocks, competing with coralline algae. It’s nearly impossible to scrub from rocks and glass bottom. Is it Lobophora?
What do you guys think? Thanks in advanced.

IMG_4261.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tank is 2+ years old, NO3: 12, PO4: 0.09, Alk: 8.5, Ca: 450, Mg: 1400. Photo period is 12hr. SPS dominated with chalices and some softies.

Algae: brown, plating, rubbery feel that grows on the bottom glass, back wall, and rocks, competing with coralline algae. It’s nearly impossible to scrub from rocks and glass bottom. Is it Lobophora?
What do you guys think? Thanks in advanced.

View attachment 3116787
Appears to be an algae called Lobophora and is indeed rubbery like making removal a challenge. This is redddish brown and color and best removal is using a plastic scraper or putty knife and shaving it and net and discard. If any on rock, best bet will be a dark container with tank water and giving rock a one week dark period (black out) and return to tank and add cleaners such as Pencil urchin, pitho crab, chiton snails and large Mexican and ninja star snails

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be an algae called Lobophora and is indeed rubbery like making removal a challenge. This is redddish brown and color and best removal is using a plastic scraper or putty knife and shaving it and net and discard. If any on rock, best bet will be a dark container with tank water and giving rock a one week dark period (black out) and return to tank and add cleaners such as Pencil urchin, pitho crab, chiton snails and large Mexican and ninja star snails
Yes - it appears to be the case and thanks for confirming. I actually have a pencil urchin but I moved him to another tank since he was knocking frags over! lol I’m looking for 2-3 tuxedo urchins instead. I have several large snails but they’re not doing a good job at removal. Tangs pick at them on rocks but not very effective.

I can’t really do the blackout option since the tank is covered with corals! ha I’ve reduced the photo period and reduced the light intensity already.

Outside of being a nuisance, will it compete / suffocate corals?

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes - it appears to be the case and thanks for confirming. I actually have a pencil urchin but I moved him to another tank since he was knocking frags over! lol I’m looking for 2-3 tuxedo urchins instead. I have several large snails but they’re not doing a good job at removal. Tangs pick at them on rocks but not very effective.

I can’t really do the blackout option since the tank is covered with corals! ha I’ve reduced the photo period and reduced the light intensity already.

Outside of being a nuisance, will it compete / suffocate corals?
Thats weird- My pencil bothers nothing. It was a tuxedo that dragged everything around the tank
Its not that your snails arent doing a good job. They cant keep up with its growth. Tangs like this stuff but its hard for them to tear it and eat

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats weird- My pencil bothers nothing. It was a tuxedo that dragged everything around the tank
It’s not that your snails arent doing a good job. They cant keep up with its growth. Tangs like this stuff but its hard for them to tear it and eat
I think that urchins are very cool creatures with a great personality! lol Mine was a pain before, bulldozed everything hence I sent him away. Now you mentioned it, he was keeping the Lobophora from spreading! I need more urchins — right now, none in the main tank.

Perhaps I will try to get some hard (automotive) brushes for the rocks & crevices to get the algae in the water column. I’ve been dosing a DIY Coral Snow so the skimmer can help remove?

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back