Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, new reefer here needs some advice on selecting a healthy blue tang. I'm checking out an online vendor selling me this juvenile blue tang and I was wondering if it has any skin issue. I'm unable to take a look at the fish in person so this photo is the only data I can gather.

From the photo, there are discoloration patches/marks on his face near the eye and mouth. Is this normal? Should I pull the trigger and place the order? Thanks!

PXL_20211012_193806511.MP_2.jpg

Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TastesLikeChicken

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white under the mouth is normal. He looks healthy to my eyes. HOWEVER, hippo tangs (and tangs in general) are notorious for having ich and/or marine velvet. Just because it’s not showing now does not mean it is not a carrier. Your best bet is to do a medicated quarantine. A lot of vendors will claim they quarantine, but that does that not mean it’s a medicated quarantine. I’ve lost hippo tangs in the past to both illnesses (and they looked completely healthy when I bought them) and it is heartbreaking.

OP
OP
B

brucelee90

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white under the mouth is normal. He looks healthy to my eyes. HOWEVER, hippo tangs (and tangs in general) are notorious for having ich and/or marine velvet. Just because it’s not showing now does not mean it is not a carrier. Your best bet is to do a medicated quarantine. A lot of vendors will claim they quarantine, but that does that not mean it’s a medicated quarantine. I’ve lost hippo tangs in the past to both illnesses (and they looked completely healthy when I bought them) and it is heartbreaking.
Thank you! Duly noted.

What about the grey blemish under the eye? Is that normal?

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back