Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my zoo/mushroom tank is now four months old, all zoos are growing well. The colors are amazing, things are good. I do have a mystery on my hands with some zoo skirts disappearing. I am 99.9% sure it's not a nudi, I firmly believe I have rogue pods. I also suspect my clown goby as he is always hanging out next to the zoos that are missing skirts. But anyway, I need help with figuring out the best way to dose the aquarium. I use Two Little Fishies AccuraSea1 reef salt and I do a daily water change. After a typical water change alkalinity is at 9.0dKH, Mg is 1350ppm, and Ca is 435ppm. The day before the water change Ali is 9.0dKH, Mg is 1305ppm, and Ca is 410ppm. Should I just stick with the weekly water change that will not only replenish All, Ca, and Mg, but also all the trace elements or should I begin dosing Mg and Ca? Should I begin dosing and still do weekly changes? What is the best course of action? Can I just use ESV calcium since it contains magnesium, and not use the alkalinity part. Am I just making this more complicated than it needs to be? I just want the tank as stable as possible.

CLICK TO VIEW

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my zoo/mushroom tank is now four months old, all zoos are growing well. The colors are amazing, things are good. I do have a mystery on my hands with some zoo skirts disappearing. I am 99.9% sure it's not a nudi, I firmly believe I have rogue pods. I also suspect my clown goby as he is always hanging out next to the zoos that are missing skirts. But anyway, I need help with figuring out the best way to dose the aquarium. I use Two Little Fishies AccuraSea1 reef salt and I do a daily water change. After a typical water change alkalinity is at 9.0dKH, Mg is 1350ppm, and Ca is 435ppm. The day before the water change Ali is 9.0dKH, Mg is 1305ppm, and Ca is 410ppm. Should I just stick with the weekly water change that will not only replenish All, Ca, and Mg, but also all the trace elements or should I begin dosing Mg and Ca? Should I begin dosing and still do weekly changes? What is the best course of action? Can I just use ESV calcium since it contains magnesium, and not use the alkalinity part. Am I just making this more complicated than it needs to be? I just want the tank as stable as possible.
It's not the clown goby. Your water changes are enough. Do you have any other fish or inverts. I highly doubt pods eating zoa.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not dosed my softy tank with anything in probably 25 years.
I do water changes every other week and that is all.
I also doubt pods are eating the fringe off your zoanthids.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the clown goby. Your water changes are enough. Do you have any other fish or inverts. I highly doubt pods eating zoa.

I have some hermits that walk all over everything. The only two fish at the moment are the clown goby and flame hawkfish. I suspect the pods only because I have been unable to locate any pest other than pods and I have read numerous accounts of pods doing just that. Last weekend I removed a whole bunch of zoas to dip them and nothing. It's only three frags, frozen apples, candy apples, and one pink zipper polyp. I've spent hours watching the tank and nothing. I'm stumped.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is worth experimenting with a trace element supplement (Such as TM A and K) and see if it is beneficial (in addition to the water changes, which seem adequate for the major ions).

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is worth experimenting with a trace element supplement (Such as TM A and K) and see if it is beneficial (in addition to the water changes, which seem adequate for the major ions).

Great idea Randy. I ordered a set of the 200ml bottles. Should I just go with the suggested dosage or should I send off a couple ICP tests between water changes to see what’s being consumed?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a sceptic by nature I would question an idea of blindly dosing trace elements in 4 month old tank with frequent water changes. I seriously doubt if trace elements are deficient, however ICP test would almost definitely answer this question.
My suspicion is that hermit crabs may be a part of a problem, but other part is relative immaturity and possibly lack of biodiversity in your tank.Possibly your lights?

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a sceptic by nature I would question an idea of blindly dosing trace elements in 4 month old tank with frequent water changes. I seriously doubt if trace elements are deficient, however ICP test would almost definitely answer this question.
My suspicion is that hermit crabs may be a part of a problem, but other part is relative immaturity and possibly lack of biodiversity in your tank.Possibly your lights?

Tank was seeded from my other tank. Water and bio media (lots of Maxspect balls). So while the physical tank is new the contents are not. I suspect the crabs as well. Lights are great. No issues there. Will probably try icp to double check trace elements.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was seeded from my other tank. Water and bio media (lots of Maxspect balls). So while the physical tank is new the contents are not. I suspect the crabs as well. Lights are great. No issues there. Will probably try icp to double check trace elements.
I have a bit of a similar situation, 3 months old tank, which I established after I broke down my old one due to majano infestation. I used dry rock and supplemented it with Aussie Rock and Tampa Bay Live rock. Euphylia, montipora and some zoas are there for about 2 months and they are just start to sprout. It takes a bit of time for a coral to get used to new environment. Give it some time.

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea Randy. I ordered a set of the 200ml bottles. Should I just go with the suggested dosage or should I send off a couple ICP tests between water changes to see what’s being consumed?

I'd start with the recommended dose and see what happens.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start with the recommended dose and see what happens.

So I’ve been dosing .68ml which is the calculated dose for my water volume, which is 17 gallons. After two days of dosing A & K I sent off an icp just to see where levels were at. Here are the results. Based on the results, I think I should increase the dosage a bit. I’m seeing great results in the tank. Everything is happy and I swear I’ve had increased zoa and mushroom growth and colors. ICP says I’m low in cobalt, chromium, iron, iodine, manganese, nickel, and zinc. It’s also been a total of 12 days of dosing now. I don’t dose on the day of the water change, which is Sundays.

I should increase K which contains everything that tested low except for iodine. A contains iodine, but if everything else is fine, do I add a separate iodine supplement, or is it just being used up quick. I did dose right before the icp sample was taken. Any thoughts…

182F8BC7-32A9-4998-8753-FECDF1BD76F1.png
7C78F77F-A4E9-46C5-AA0A-CA6B18C5C8F3.png

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a tiny but real chance that you are overcomplicating your aquarium maintenance program. Don’t rush into making yourself believe your system needs additives. If you have fish, inverts and soft coral, you don’t need to fuss with alkalinity, Ca and Mg levels. As for trace element dosing, the need is unlikely for new aquaria because the bioload is low and unlikely to be growing vigorously. On the other hand, you can fuss with element levels and dose trace elements without doing harm, though some inverts are sensitive to some metals, e.g., snails can be sickened by elevated cobalt levels.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a tiny but real chance that you are overcomplicating your aquarium maintenance program. Don’t rush into making yourself believe your system needs additives. If you have fish, inverts and soft coral, you don’t need to fuss with alkalinity, Ca and Mg levels. As for trace element dosing, the need is unlikely for new aquaria because the bioload is low and unlikely to be growing vigorously. On the other hand, you can fuss with element levels and dose trace elements without doing harm, though some inverts are sensitive to some metals, e.g., snails can be sickened by elevated cobalt levels.

I manage Alk, Ca, and Mg through water changes even though they don’t change much. Following Randy’s suggestion I’m trying TM A & K. So far I actually think it’s doing something. My zoa and mushroom growth and color have been great. Lots of new polyps. Don’t know if it’s the trace elements for sure but maybe. I’ll watch my snails carefully. I have a lot and so far they are okay.

Thanks for chiming in. I’ll take all the info and input I can get.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manage Alk, Ca, and Mg through water changes even though they don’t change much. Following Randy’s suggestion I’m trying TM A & K. So far I actually think it’s doing something. My zoa and mushroom growth and color have been great. Lots of new polyps. Don’t know if it’s the trace elements for sure but maybe. I’ll watch my snails carefully. I have a lot and so far they are okay.

Thanks for chiming in. I’ll take all the info and input I can get.
I hope the aquarium is a success! Continued good luck.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back