Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. We lost another fairy wrasse last night due to jumping. It's been a while since we had one jump, but the cats brought it to us last night after they found it.

We have a standard 125, 6 foot tank with the 3 sections. 2 braces. Tank is 72x18.

Problem is we don't have a sump, so our hang on back filters and one tiny opening for our uv cables makes these hard plastic trim pieces a pain to cut out and you can never get them 100% right.

Is there any sort of netting or something I could pick up at home depot that I could just replace the glass tops with and cut out for a better fit? I know evaporation and all is a benefit to glass tops, but I'm fine with ditching them if I can get a better top.

Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will some 1/8 or 1/4 wire fencing cut to the filters work? I would get a regular mesh screen top, but there is hardly anything out there that takes into account hob filters or lights. I know that's not the normal reef setup, but I'm really not liking these glass tops with the aqueon Strips.

These Strips are already hard enough to cut correctly, but getting them on the glass is even worse.

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs sells 1/4 inch clearish plastic netting for use with home depot diy scfeen frame kits. For small areas, i leave the screen a couple inches longer, outside the frame to cover problem areas.

malacoda

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A custom lid from someplace like Octo Aquatics may get you a nice snug fit right up against the filters. You would just have to take careful measurements for the cutouts you need in the lid.

At first glance they seem a bit pricey, but the quality is very good ... and a bargain compared to the loss of two or three $100 plus fish.

Other DIY options that may work ... but will probably either leave gaps, or be a pain to work with whenever you have to remove the lid or the filter ... would be to try and make something out of netting like this...

Or non-metalic window screen mesh...

Wire fencing will rust unless it's aluminum.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey everyone. We lost another fairy wrasse last night due to jumping. It's been a while since we had one jump, but the cats brought it to us last night after they found it.

We have a standard 125, 6 foot tank with the 3 sections. 2 braces. Tank is 72x18.

Problem is we don't have a sump, so our hang on back filters and one tiny opening for our uv cables makes these hard plastic trim pieces a pain to cut out and you can never get them 100% right.

Is there any sort of netting or something I could pick up at home depot that I could just replace the glass tops with and cut out for a better fit? I know evaporation and all is a benefit to glass tops, but I'm fine with ditching them if I can get a better top.

Thanks!
Sorry to hear. Egg Crate at times can cause injury. A simple filler would be saran wrap

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the egg crate over my cube tank, it does the job as a good temp solution. Had a recent escapee coral beauty that made me put it on temporarily....

I'm at work, so not a great picture but easy to cut out for hob gear. Only suggestion is get the white (clear) stuff. Its hell on par killing imho.

Screenshot_20230317-183329.png

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back