Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan to upgrade my current 180 gallon Fowler tank but have some questions. It will be 3 to 4 months before this happens. Need to save some more money!!

I’ve decided on a Planet Aquarium tank, stand and canopy. First though I need some advice on the new tank. I really want their 270 gallon 84” x 30” x 25”, external overflow, bean animal, but due to cost have to keep my current sump, return pump and skimmer and was wondering if the equipment I currently have will be big enough for this size tank.

Current equipment:
Return pump: Royal Exclusive Red Dragon 80 watts, 2113 gph/17 feet pressure height.
(Is it still a rule for return pump to be 10x tank to return pump ratio? If so then this pump won’t work)

Sump: Bashsea Signature Series 48” x 15” x 16” with 3 - 1 1/2” drains holes.

Skimmer: ReefOctopus Elite 200 INT, rated at : heavy bio load -125 gal, medium -210 gal, light-300 gal

My biggest concern I think is the skimmer. It may be too undersized. But I will also have the following and can implement any or all if needed for nutrient control, a fuge with Cheato, Auto Turf Scrubber, GFO Reactor, and a bio pellet reactor (I still need to buy the latter)

Is it still a rule for return pump to be 10x tank to return pump ratio?

So wondering if anyone can tell me if my current equipment will work on the 270 gallon tank. Otherwise my only option will be to go with a 220 gallon tank 84x24x25. But I really really want the 270 gallon!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Davileet

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the larger tank that you want and be happy. I just responded on another post, but what you're proposing is about the same setup as what I have. Smaller sized sump will work with this tank with a slower pump. I know with my setup I have to scale back my sump pump or I run out water to cycle between the two. I have LocLine ball valves at my returns probably at 50% output, and a nice gate valve on the drain return.

I would skip the bio pellet reactor since you have three other forms of nutrient removal, and the biopellets will hinder your other algae growth.

I would give your skimmer a try and upgrade later if necessary. I find my skimmer doesn't produce most of the time because of the work that my chaeto does. I have been reefing for 20 years and find that skimmers are mostly worthless compared to macroalgaes anyway.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back