need advice in regards to using Dr. Tims one and only fish-less cycle kit to cycle my tank

BRS

Will_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I am currently confusing myself more then needed in the process of cycling a 32 gallon Biocube and need help.

This 32 gallon tank has been up and running for 1 week so far with 20lbs of live sand, 35 lbs of dry rock, and 1 Liter of sea chem matrix. The SG 1.024 and the temp is 82F.

Today I received the Dr Tims one and only live bacteria, and ammonium chloride. I have a redsea ammonia test kit and tested .04ppm before adding anything to the tank. I figured since ammonia was testing at .04ppm and the tank was already running for a week with live sand I would only add the bacteria in a bottle. I have been reading reviews online saying that if you stated with live sand and have detectable ammonia in the tank, that is enough to start the cycle and adding the ammonium chloride will make it skyrocket out of control. Will be tank cycle now that I Have added the live bacteria since it has the ammonia already detectable? How do I know if I need to add ammonium chloride? I will be testing Nitrite and Nitrate tomorrow when I receive the test kit in the mail

Also if someone here could clear up the cycling process for me that would be great. The way I understand it, is that I am trying to convert ammonia into nitrite, and then have the good bacteria build up and turn both ammonia and nitrite into less harmful Nitrate. After they turn to Nitrate, Ammonia and Nitrite should be almost undetectable??

Could someone please provide a simple explanation of the cycling process and what numbers I should be aiming for that would indicate a properly cycled tank?

Thanks for the help!!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I am currently confusing myself more then needed in the process of cycling a 32 gallon Biocube and need help.

This 32 gallon tank has been up and running for 1 week so far with 20lbs of live sand, 35 lbs of dry rock, and 1 Liter of sea chem matrix. The SG 1.024 and the temp is 82F.

Today I received the Dr Tims one and only live bacteria, and ammonium chloride. I have a redsea ammonia test kit and tested .04ppm before adding anything to the tank. I figured since ammonia was testing at .04ppm and the tank was already running for a week with live sand I would only add the bacteria in a bottle. I have been reading reviews online saying that if you stated with live sand and have detectable ammonia in the tank, that is enough to start the cycle and adding the ammonium chloride will make it skyrocket out of control. Will be tank cycle now that I Have added the live bacteria since it has the ammonia already detectable? How do I know if I need to add ammonium chloride? I will be testing Nitrite and Nitrate tomorrow when I receive the test kit in the mail

Also if someone here could clear up the cycling process for me that would be great. The way I understand it, is that I am trying to convert ammonia into nitrite, and then have the good bacteria build up and turn both ammonia and nitrite into less harmful Nitrate. After they turn to Nitrate, Ammonia and Nitrite should be almost undetectable??

Could someone please provide a simple explanation of the cycling process and what numbers I should be aiming for that would indicate a properly cycled tank?

Thanks for the help!!

OP
OP
Will_

Will_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back