Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had nassarius snails "dying" in our tank lately. Every other living thing in the tank is doing well but it seems like a nassarius snail a day will be on its back.

We pull the snail from the tank and it's unresponsive. However, after sitting in the air or minimal water when we go to pull it out of its shell for the hermit crabs, it moves, a little.

My questions: Do you think this snail had any chance of living? What would kill the snail while leaving it fully intact?

PH 8.2, Salinity 1.025, CA 439, ALK 9.54, Temp 78, ORP 233, PO4 .08, NO3 9.1
1681505236218.png

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you underfeeding? How long have u had them? Its possible they are starving
Underfeeding? Ummm, I don't think so but maybe. The current tank is 25 gallons but food hits the ground sometimes.

We had them for a month and added more. Now we're getting deaths. I can't tell if it's the new or old snails that are dying. Next time I'm going to write on their shells :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like there's just not enough to eat for them. I replenish my clean up crews a couple times a year. I may add 20 nassarius per system and few will always die off within the first month.Some get killed by other things and some may unfortunately get outcompeted for food. I don't think they will touch algae. They are scavengers and eat anything meaty they find.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back