+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
First of all, yes it is a nassarius snail and not a predatory whelk.

Half an hour is so ago I had seen one of my nassariuses covering the opening to the shell my blenny lives in and a bumble bee shrimp clawing at it from behind to be let in, I though this was weird but didn’t think anything of it as a saw my blenny swimming happily and healthily an hour ago. Now, 5 minutes ago it moves away and inside the shell I see my dead bicolor blenny…
1472EA63-F0BF-4B04-9CBA-EF6C44FB22C3.jpeg

I really don’t know what to do but I just wanted to ask what people think happed? This was super unexpected and shocking to me. The tank is well fed.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3085023First of all, yes it is a nassarius snail and not a predatory whelk.

Half an hour is so ago I had seen one of my nassariuses covering the opening to the shell my blenny lives in and a bumble bee shrimp clawing at it from behind to be let in, I though this was weird but didn’t think anything of it as a saw my blenny swimming happily and healthily an hour ago. Now, 5 minutes ago it moves away and inside the shell I see my dead bicolor blenny… View attachment 3085024

I really don’t know what to do but I just wanted to ask what people think happed? This was super unexpected and shocking to me. The tank is well fed.
A Nassarius snail lacks the ability to kill a healthy fish.

If your sure its a Nas, then in all likelihood the Blenny was either dead or dying before the Nas got there.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Nassarius snail lacks the ability to kill a healthy fish.

If your sure its a Nas, then in all likelihood the Blenny was either dead or dying before the Nas got there.
I am aware of this but it was doing just fine an hour on two before, I think the nas got to it because it was wedged inside the shell with nowhere to go and an easy meal. It could have potentially had health problems but I doubt it.

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware of this but it was doing just fine an hour on two before, I think the nas got to it because it was wedged inside the shell with nowhere to go and an easy meal. It could have potentially had health problems but I doubt it.
A nas is not that strong, and has lots of fragile exposed tissue. They are also almost blind, and rely a lot on smell to find food. They aren't really attracted to the smell of a healthy fish.

It's possible the Blenny lodged itself in the shell and broke something trying to get out. It's not really that common, but it happens sometimes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nas is not that strong, and has lots of fragile exposed tissue. They are also almost blind, and rely a lot on smell to find food. They aren't really attracted to the smell of a healthy fish.

It's possible the Blenny lodged itself in the shell and broke something trying to get out. It's not really that common, but it happens sometimes.
That might just be the cause. Anyways, thanks for the help it is much appreciated, that is why I posted this as a question to see what other causes could be.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
View attachment 3085023First of all, yes it is a nassarius snail and not a predatory whelk.

Half an hour is so ago I had seen one of my nassariuses covering the opening to the shell my blenny lives in and a bumble bee shrimp clawing at it from behind to be let in, I though this was weird but didn’t think anything of it as a saw my blenny swimming happily and healthily an hour ago. Now, 5 minutes ago it moves away and inside the shell I see my dead bicolor blenny… View attachment 3085024

While a nassarius is capable, assure its a nassarius and not the similar looking whelk or dove snail

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the others are correct that the blenny had a mishap prior. I have... 40, 50? nassarius snails in my tank. They only come out at night or when there's something to feed on (dead or otherwise).

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a tongan nassarius be capable of "trapping" and killing a healthy bicolor blenny?
No, they lack the kill power of the predatory whelks, who themselves tend not to go after fish.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back