My unique 'predator' build.

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my build thread for my new fowlr tank. My phone is broken and i have to use my computer, and this also means i couldn't get any photos or videos for the first week of my build. I have a red sea 750 xxl so about 200 gallons. I live in Australia and while that means our list of fish that can be imported is small and they're super expensive, i have access to some australian endemics which i plan to build this tank around. I guess you could class these as 'predators' but they're not predators like most people keep, eg no triggers, no lionfish, etc.

This tank has been up for almost 2 weeks now and wet for about 1.5. I previously had about 20kgs of rock rubble and ceramic media cycling in a large plastic tub with an ammonia source for 4 weeks. In order to obtain the maximum amount of microbiome diversity (Which i believe will enable me to not have an 'ugly stage'), i went to the local marina and collected several kilos of silty ocean sand, pebbles and macro algae which came with thousand of copepods, amphipods and even Sphaeromatid isopods. I then dosed as many forms of bacteria as i could find including nitrifying ones and lifesource. I then added some mysis, and some kelp macroalgae that was dying and actively decomposing to produce a constant source of ammonia and feed the pods. This method worked extremely well and while i couldn't get many out of the tub with the media i took (they hide in the mud that has formed at the bottom), the walls of the tub are covered so thickly in copepods they look white.
I added as much as i could to the sump of my tank and then went to the lfs to buy about 25 kilos (50 pounds) of live rock. Actual live rock, coral skeletons from the GBR. Finally, i added my first two fish and about 400mls of microbacter start xlm. One is an almost 20cm (7-7.5') long Spanish flag snapper (Lutjanus carponotatus) and the other is a 11-12cm (4.5') spanish hogfish (Bodianus rufus). Even though all of the warnings against adding fish to 'new' tanks, the cycle completed in about 3 days. On the 4th day i tested and i had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 3ppm nitrate. The addition of the liverock and media produced an instant tank, and really all that needed to happen was the sand bed to be seeded with bacteria.

As of today i added 2 more fish. A 12 cm (4-5') V-tail grouper (Cephalopolis urodeta) and a 16-18cm (6-7') Harlequin tuskfish. I am travelling to western australia for a week so additions will be held off until i'm back, but i'm planning on adding a two-lined monocle bream (Scolopsis bilineata), Purple whiptail (Pentapodus emeryii) and 1-2 more fish. These fish are australian endemics which are unheard of in the hobby outside of australia, so those will remain a secret until i get them. And while the current stocking is nothing much out of the ordinary, some of the additions over the coming weeks are species i guarantee have never been on this forum and some species that have never even been kept in an aquarium before.

Unfortunately i broke my phone a few weeks ago and won't be getting a new one for a while, so pictures will be sparse as i have to use my parents' phone.

OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish as of today. I can't get a video of the entire tank because there aren't any lights yet (i borrowed the strip light from my other tank for the video) and my reflection somehow always gets in the video unless at a specific angle. And i am self conscious about that sort of thing. The snapper is unfortunately blind or almost blind i believe.
I won't elaborate too much on it, but i was forced to house him in a bucket with subpar water quality overnight shortly after i received him which i believe damaged his eyes or perhaps his brain in some way. He is completely healthy and his eyes look fine, but he is constantly swimming into glass, the corner of the back glass and overflow and even rock which are directly in front of him. He also pays no attention the other fish in the tank and doesn't swim around often unless i add food to the tank which he can't locate unless i feed him with tweezers.
Hopefully his eye sight will get better as i believe it's a neurological thing rather than his eyes actually being bad.
The hogfish is very friendly. Will swim up to the glass every time i walk past, eat food from my hand and you can even almost pet him. The grouper and tuskfish seem fine but they have only been in there a few hours. I am a little worried about the grouper potentially getting aggressive.

OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A feeding video from today. My snapper unfortunately got euthanised as i was able to determine it was completely blind. I have placed a number of fish order this week, some including some obscure Australian endemic species. So this week there should be a lot more fish in the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_7321.mov
    82 MB
OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way you could upload these to YouTube and share the link? Uploading video files doesn’t work too well on here.
Yes, i have just noticed that. The original video was 1:05. I cut it into two 30 second clips and tried to upload both. It seems like only the first one uploaded :(
I will probably upload future videos to youtube then. Should be getting 2 hydra 32's tomorrow and a couple angels. Then later this week the big order.
Some highlights include an Anampses lennardi and a very special catfish with a highly restricted range. I am used to paying a crazy high price for fish that are imported here. However, it does feel good to buy a lennardi for $230 from a store that had about 30 of them.

OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydras are up. My day vs night settings. My schedule is a 2 hour ramp from 8:30am to about 10:00pm. The lights have every colour enabled but are a slightly actinic white. I have a moonlight mode from about 11:00 pm to 3am with 2% moonlight and then 1% moonlight in the AM. This is because i have numerous nocturnal fish coming and some already in the tank (Comet and V-tail). On that note i got 2 new fish, a medium-large comet 'grouper' and a very large coral beauty, of the paler deep sea morph. Also got one of those mesh screen lids which isn't on yet. some more fish arriving tomorrow and friday!
457132321_2478609855662604_340981495726888585_n.jpg
458347743_517677937478820_6369785909968971253_n.jpg

OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump crab. He is a juvenile Schizophrys rufescens (Red spider crab), a local species in south australia. They get to about the diameter of one's hand legs outsretched and also decorate themsleves lightly often with tunicates. I will have to move him to the skimmer section, as i have a much larger moon crab (Matuta planipes) arriving, which are fast and aggressive predators. The moon crab will go in the front part. They are intertidal surf crab zone natives, so i've got a shallow container of sand underneath the reefmat that he can bury in hopefully.
This is probably pretty uninteresting but i've always had a penchant for crabs. Before i set up my other tank ( 5 foot 65 gallon) i had an enormous australian sand crab (Ovalipes australiensis) in there as a species tank. Unfortunately he died due to a mismoult after a 1.5months. Hopefully i have better luck with the moon crab

Attachments

• 458770961_8111070708930536_7790095615574988533_n.mp4
    6.9 MB
OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New arrival from yesterday. Supposed tigerpyge. It looks like a lemonpeel to me, but who knows.

Attachments

• 459320120_9139737862719739_6265675480167895492_n.mp4
    4.7 MB

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a lemonpeel to me aswell, although there are quite a few photos of baby tigerpyge angels looking like lemonpeels. I think the eibli stripes and colours will come with age
New arrival from yesterday. Supposed tigerpyge. It looks like a lemonpeel to me, but who knows.

OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 5 new fish from western Australia arrive last night. I have been alluding to a very special australian endemic that was supposed to arrive. Unfortunately that was the one fish that didn't make it :(.
Current list after the new additions is:
Ribbon sweetlip (Plectorhincus polytaenia)
Floral maori wrasse (Cheilinus chlorourus)
Harlequin tuskfish (Choerodon fasciatus)
Coral beauty (Centropyge bispinosa)
Personifer angelfish (Chaetodontoplus personifer)
Spanish hogfish (Bodianus rufescens)
V-tail grouper (Cephalopholis urodeta)
Blue and yellow wrasse (Anampses lennardi)
Comet (Calloplesiops altilevis)
Rainbow monocle bream (Scolopsis monogramma)
Sump:
Skimmer chamber: Juvenile spider crab (Schizophrys rufescens)
1st chamber Moon crab (Matuta victor)

Some observations, everything seems to be getting along pretty well. The coral beauty harassed the personifer for a couple hours but they seem to be friends now. The lennardi is out and eating and is left alone by everything in the tank. The Rainbow monocle bream, as evidenced by it's huge eyes is nocturnal and only really swims around under the moonlights.
The tuskfish still doesnt like the grouper and also doesnt like the maori wrasse, which is very shy and seems scared of all the other fish.
The ribbon sweetlip is about 20cm which is pretty big. I visited the shop in person when i was in Perth and literally pointed at the smallest one they had (10-15cm) and told them i wanted them to send the smallest they had. They sent me the biggest. He seems healthy and active though, and eats like a pig. Such a beautiful fish.

There is also a feeding video of the moon crab about an hour after i put it in. The tub of sand in the background was put there specifically for him, as they are found in the wash zone of surf beaches normally. I put a rock as a 'ramp' to the tub and i'm so happy that he was able to use the ramp and bury himself in there this morning.

I'm getting a refund for the 'tigerpyge'. I plan to buy a large Centropyge venusta and maybe a couple other fish next week, like Anampses neoguinacus and a Parapercis sp.

Attachments

• 459717063_7638250146275659_601381939306107912_n.mp4
    7.4 MB

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the sweetlips and the lennardi. Are you planning to keep these fish in the tank for their whole life because some of them get pretty massive (sweetlip, maori wrasse, ect..)

OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No,
I am moving to WA at the end of next year, so at that point i'll either give my fish away or possibly build something like a 500g tank over there. I am aware about the sizes, but i've been pretty careful to choose slow growing fish.

OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my Maori wrasse seemed very stressed this morning. Couldn't tell why, when i came home from a trip this afternoon i found the cause. The tuskfish has been pretty relentlessly chasing him and pushing him into the corner by the gyre. With some difficulty i've caught the maori and put into an acclimation box. Not sure what i'm going to do now. Wondering if @Slocke or @i cant think have any advice.

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my Maori wrasse seemed very stressed this morning. Couldn't tell why, when i came home from a trip this afternoon i found the cause. The tuskfish has been pretty relentlessly chasing him and pushing him into the corner by the gyre. With some difficulty i've caught the maori and put into an acclimation box. Not sure what i'm going to do now. Wondering if @Slocke or @i cant think have any advice.
I'm definitely not an expert but maybe swapping the fish around (putting the tusk in the box) might help if it makes any difference at all

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if there is too much you can do. Perhaps a long time in the box will reduce prevent it but you may have to regime unfortunately.
@Fishfreak2009 ?
I personally split the tank in half with a piece of eggcrate, as that's what I do with all my larger fish that don't get along. Tusks and maori are known to be cantankerous with one another in captivity, even in huge systems. I want to keep them together at some point, so will do this. Same method I plan to use to introduce my floral maori (Cheilinus chlorourus) and red breasted maori (Cheilinus fasciatus). The whole Genus Cheilinus tend to be very mellow towards anything they can't swallow whole, so definitely split sooner than later.

OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting the tusk in the acclimation box was definitely my first thought, but i don’t really know how I’m supposed to catch it. It has a cave it will hide under and not move from no matter what i do. I can try the eggcrate idea. How long should that be up?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting the tusk in the acclimation box was definitely my first thought, but i don’t really know how I’m supposed to catch it. It has a cave it will hide under and not move from no matter what i do. I can try the eggcrate idea. How long should that be up?
Currently I'm at 8 weeks with the eggcrate for my French Angel and maculosus angel. Going to give it a couple more weeks. If that doesn't work at that point, I'll pull the maculosus for a couple weeks and put it in the refugium for a timeout. Rearrange all the rocks in the tank again before reintroducing it. Unfortunately my French Angel is a pushover...

OP
OP
Cael Gallery

Cael Gallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. My rainbow monocle died. Not sure why, i can't see any physical damage and none of my fish have any symptoms of disease. It was definitely on the skinnier side however and i hadn't seen it eat anything. It would sort of hide in the corner most of the day but would swim around under moonlights.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back