My simple backup power solution with Hydros

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fortunately don't have many blackouts in my area, but rarely we will lose power for a few hours. I have a Hydros collective with X4, XP8, and Wave Engine, and I wanted a simple (and relatively affordable) solution that would run my pumps for a day or so in the event of power loss.

My most essential equipment-return pump, skimmer, and Gyres- are all connected to the Wave Engine. Everything else (lights, heater, algae scrubber, etc) is connected to the XP8. I bought an Anker Solix C1000 battery 'power station' on sale during Prime day. All I had to do is plug the Anker into the wall and the Wave Engine power brick into the Anker. Done, that's it, no programming needed. XP8 still plugs directly into the wall.

When I pull wall power, the Anker automatically powers the Wave Engine, so my return pump, skimmer, and flow pumps continue to run. The high power or unnecessary items connected to the XP8 go off. Because the Wave Engine can also power the internal circuitry of the XP8 and X4 via the command bus, the entire Hydros collective itself remains functional, including my temperature and pH probes connected to the X4. With all my pumps running at normal speed, I can get about 12-14 hours. If I turn off the skimmer and reduce the other pumps to lower speeds, I can get over 24 hours.

I know I could create a much more comprehensive backup with Kraken etc, but I think this will serve my needs and I only had to add the battery backup saving space and expense.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back