My Nitrate Consuming Machine, Help

TheReelColton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,
My 125 has had coral in it for almost a year at this point (coral is light-moderately stocked, 40ish pieces). I have had great success learning on here from other reefers and got my tank dialed in nicely.

The one area I haven't been able to get consistent is nutrients. Specifically nitrates. Phosphate is pretty solid at .04ppm.

When I was beginning my reefing journey, my nutrients were rather high. Around 60.0+ppm nitrate and honestly not sure about phosphate. But after carbon dosing vinegar, late last year I successfully managed to get my nitrate down and wipe out a few patches of red cyano I had. However it bottomed out and I have struggled getting it back up ever since. So in 5 months with my skimmer offline and feeding a sheet of nori plus frozen cube every day, nitrate was still zero. I resorted to dosing sodium nitrate, brought my level up to 6.0ppm and waited. 12 days later I check again, and today its back to 0.0.

My questions are: is this going to stress my coral out going from 0 to 6ppm back and forth over a 12 day (or less) cycle, and is this normal? Everything is currently doing great except a sulking bernardpora which was recently looking wonderful.

I removed all but a fist size ball of chaeto from my fuge, shortened the photo period to only a few hours, added an additional fish plus more snails and increased feeding. If this isn't enough to offset the uptake, I'm puzzled what could be consuming nitrate at such a rate.

There isn't much algae around but I have considered getting an urchin to aid the snails efforts

I'm just noticing small patches of red cyano begin to spread on my rockwork, so I'm eager to sort this out before it becomes more of a problem.

Fish stocking is currently two 4 inch tangs, two clowns, yellow watchman, yellow Halichoeres, and a single chromis.

Thank you all in advance for your expertise

20240724_111114.jpg

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably going to catch a lot slack for this but, I would never turn off your skimmer if you are running one. Maybe adjust it to not skim as much. I know people do run their systems without a skimmer but, again if you choose to run a skimmer, run it all the time. If your Phosphate is steady I wouldn't increase feeding. I would keep dosing Nitrates. Just find your dosing equilibrium. Dose a little everyday and test every three days or so until you find your balance (i.e. maintenance dose). I would suggest not dosing it up and then holding. If your nitrates are trending down, continue maintenance dose and turn up skimmer and/or increase dose. If trending upward, dial back dose amount a little. Heavy in, heavy out.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you say over time this will balance out with consistent nitrate dosing? Or is the solution adding more fish/increasing feeding because this is what a healthy uptake of nutrients looks like?

It may take a little time to figure out a dose, but right now you are not dosing often enough.

Maybe try 3 ppm per day and see what happens. :)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back