+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
260 gallon tank here,

Scraping the back wall of my 260 gallon has always been difficult for me. The scraper blade angel is not right in order to get a decent scrape. Instead I get 2 thin lines from where the edges are. I’ve tried many brands but they are so far all built the same.

It’s a glass tank, so I use the metal scrapers. I really need to put a crazy amount of effort to get a good scrape, but my stamina runs out way before I finished a single panel.

Anyone else with a large tank, or a tank in general where scraping is just so difficult?

The 2 problems with the scrapers on the market, IMO, are that the angle is not optimal for scraping, or that the blade itself comes too dull as the standard.

I’ve been meaning to write this thread for a while, I’ve just been pushing it off in hopes that I’ll figure out a method that works.

Who relates with me? Ps, it’s not for coralline, it’s for stubborn film-like algae.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using an actual razor blade?
I started using one a few days ago. It’s really small, but it’s the best option for the top half of the tank. However, I can’t reach the bottom unless I want to get my armpit wet.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the continuum scraper the longest. The blade is kind of dull compared to a razor, the angel isn’t great but if I turn it backwards and put it in a certain angle it works really well, but the only problem is that this angle is pretty limited depending on where I’m scraping.

design.maddie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I think the lack of a reenforced rod/handle was the problem with mine. The blade was usually warped at some points after the first scrape but never really had an edge. I do my best to just live with the back being a little dirty. When I do clean I expect to be shoulder deep with more than just a hand towel for after.

CLICK TO VIEW

HBtank

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't scrape the back wall, never have. Just the ends and front of a rectangular tank. Not sure why I would actually:thinking-face:
With let’s say a black background, everything pops quite a bit more when cleaned. Especially if you have a nice aquascape with negative space.

Top Shelf Aquatics

HBtank

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using one a few days ago. It’s really small, but it’s the best option for the top half of the tank. However, I can’t reach the bottom unless I want to get my armpit wet.
I find I can’t be bothered with anything but 4” paint scrapers, goes so much quicker through anything. As for getting armpits wet, it’s impossible at some angles/depths to avoid that, only an arm and wrist can get it done in some spots, just part of reefing!

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With let’s say a black background, everything pops quite a bit more when cleaned. Especially if you have a nice aquascape with negative space.
Thanks. Guess I only looked it from my perspective. I have usually had clear back walls and normally have rock islands that are against the back wall so coraline growth is welcomed.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Diaper
Back