Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing a water change earlier, and stupidly siphoned the new water into the sump beside the heaters... I thought I'd heard something pop but never thought anymore of it. That was about 2 hours ago. Checked temperature and noticed it's down to 23°C and dropping! Immediately knew I'd busted the heaters. Checked them and they're both making a rattling sound.

Question is, I can't get to a shop until tomorrow morning. It's 9pm BST here (UK), will my corals, hermits and shrimp all die by tomorrow? What's the lowest temperature they can survive and for how long. Raging!

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how low of a temp your livestock can take but a slow drop in temp is much better than a rise...

Some suggestions in the meantime:

Can you heat some water (preferably SW) and put it in empty bottles to float in the tank/sump?
Can you cover the tank/sump to retain the heat that's already there?
What temperature do you normally keep your home? Raising the thermostat will also help.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try floating bottles of hot water... but not sure they'll last too long. 12 hours until I can get a replacement heater - good suggestion though!

Tank has a lid. House is usually around 18°C... but will probably drop overnight.

Aw I'm gutted... hope to god they survive!

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - happened to me before.
I don't know how low of a temp your livestock can take but a slow drop in temp is much better than a rise...

Some suggestions in the meantime:

Can you heat some water (preferably SW) and put it in empty bottles to float in the tank/sump?
Can you cover the tank/sump to retain the heat that's already there?
What temperature do you normally keep your home? Raising the thermostat will also help.
Agreed - happened to me before. Now I have dual heaters and even a spare one! :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm revising my first suggestion... Try to heat some of the water from the tank and slowly add back. Don't heat too high, maybe 80 degrees F, and slowly pour it back into the sump so it can mix well before getting to your tank.

AquaCave Logo Banner

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm revising my first suggestion... Try to heat some of the water from the tank and slowly add back. Don't heat too high, maybe 80 degrees F, and slowly pour it back into the sump so it can mix well before getting to your tank.
You'll want to raise it no more than 0.5 degrees F per hour.

RichReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest trying to keep spare heaters and return pumps. I know that sucks but being prepared for this is priceless and mind easing.

In the meantime you may be able to adjust your HVAC to accommodate you umtil tomorrow.

I know I have lost livestock to 70 degree temps.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will try that. I do have another heater, only a 200W... in my QT... means I'd have to add my chromis ane clowns into the DT which is fallow due to ich... not even sure the heater would heat it... plus I'd be having to try and catch them tomorrow again.. plus ich... god. I'm gping to have to just do it I think! Nightmare.

Corals.com
OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest trying to keep spare heaters and return pumps. I know that sucks but being prepared for this is priceless and mind easing.

In the meantime you may be able to adjust your HVAC to accommodate you umtil tomorrow.
I know for future... only a month in the hobby...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for future... only a month in the hobby...
Yeah, it's hard to have a backup for EVERYTHING ( unless you've been in the hobby for a while and hoard stuff when it's on sale, lol)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep your house at 64 degrees F?? Are you an Eskimo??

Seriously though, it might be too much to try to raise the thermostat enough to actually heat the tank, but any increase will help. You can also wrap the tank in a blanket or sleeping bag... Anything to insulate it a bit.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep your house at 64 degrees F?? Are you an Eskimo??

Seriously though, it might be too much to try to raise the thermostat enough to actually heat the tank, but any increase will help. You can also wrap the tank in a blanket or sleeping bag... Anything to insulate it a bit.
Haaa no I'm Northern Irish... we're made of hard stuff! Lol

Drama over.... turns out one of the heaters is still working! Yay! Temp stabilised at 23.5 so that should be enough to keep them alive until tomorrow :)

Avast

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn up house heat, cover tank with cellophane/plastic wrap, and float hot water bottles.

Or hit up local hobbyist and get a loner for the night. Post on Facebook etc. say NEED HELP CAN I BORROW AN AQUARIUM HEATER! If someone in my neighborhood needed I'd let them borrow one haha

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn up house heat, cover tank with cellophane/plastic wrap, and float hot water bottles.

Or hit up local hobbyist and get a loner for the night. Post on Facebook etc. say NEED HELP CAN I BORROW AN AQUARIUM HEATER! If someone in my neighborhood needed I'd let them borrow one haha
Funny I did post on a local Facebook page and was surprised to see 3 or 4 offers from people saying they'd give me a heater! So nice to see, all sorted now though.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know I have lost livestock to 70 degree temps.
Just a totally opposite sample here:
...I really haven't used a heater in years. My home thermostat was set to 70F in winter and I had 4 reef tanks. With pumps and lights running 72F was max and this went on for years and years....
I've also never (or hardly ever ) lost a fish to cold water, even from winter shipping. Also my fish have been subject to sub 70F for days....No hot temps are a totally different story...

OP how cold does Belfast really get?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquarium Specialty
Back