My filter's motor died, what can I do to keep everyone in there alive?

Gigaboom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank, and my aquaclear 20's motor just died, how do I keep them alive until I can get a new filter?
I have a n.wennerae mantis shrimp, a turbo snail, and two clownfish.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are not using it for biological filtration? If that is the case, just make sure you have a heater directly in the tank and throw an air stone or small powerhead directly into the tank and they will be fine.

OP
OP
G

Gigaboom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are not using it for biological filtration? If that is the case, just make sure you have a heater directly in the tank and throw an air stone or small powerhead directly into the tank and they will be fine.
I don't have a powerhead or air stone, would pointing a fan at the top of the open tank provide enough movement?

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will need water flow, add a small powerhead into the tank to move the water, point it upwards to break the surface to help with gas exchange.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a powerhead or air stone, would pointing a fan at the top of the open tank provide enough movement?
Unfortunately not.....you definitely need some water movement in there.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long would it last without water movement? I think I can buy a new filter within a few hours
You can take a cup of tank water and poor it in the tank from a height to create watermovement and oxygen. I dont think they will last in a 10 gallon long enough for you to get a replacement unfortunately

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS above, - or take a big spoon and swish up the water, move the water and create bubbles on the surface that go down into the water.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back