Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 220 gallon main tank + 60g tank & 80g sump all connected for total of ~350g system, mostly fish. I have probably 30 fish between 2 tanks, small number of corals. I never had any nuisance algae problems until I added 4xT5's to my Orbit Pro Marine LEDs and GHA seemed to sprout like weeds, strongly attached to the rocks. I have always had higher Phos of around 0.15 on ave. I tried changing circulation, adding snails, reducing light, etc. Nothing worked. Within 3 months of GHA first appearing it was looking like my backyard lawn.

Then I purchased Fluconazole and administered it once per recommended dosage 20 mg/gal. Two-three weeks later, my results after high anticipation... were - nothing. No change whatsoever. GHA was growing & happy.

Then I added PhosFree (Lanthanum Chloride) and pair of tuxedo urchins. Within a week, every bit of GHA was gone. Initially I added 4-5 ml of LaCl2 per gallon of RODI in ATO. A week later I changed to about 1 ml for every 1 gallon of ATO. Solution mixes in my ATO and I have it set up through Apex to add about 10 gallons a week of RODI water. Now, a month later I have stopped adding LaCl2. My Phos is down to about 0.03-0.06. I'll continue to monitor but at least for me, that's what made the difference.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mcarroll

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great read – thanks for posting!!

BTW if you see sprouts ever again, consider this rather than the hands-off approach:
Algae Cure!! Spot Treating Algae With Peroxide

It's true that if you let it, algae will become established. Once it is, it's a stronger beast, harder to beat back.

So get it early! Add CUC early! Spot treat early! etc. :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back