Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's the gist of it. My BTA is wide open at night, and during the day shrivels up sometimes into nothingness. I'm thinking maybe the lights are too bright?

He's also hanging on the sandbed. Doing fine, but on the sandbed. I have basically just let him, but last week tried moving him to the rock. He quickly moved back to the sandbed. I am thinking he's perhaps hiding from the brightness of the light.

Below are my tank light specs - any advice? Or maybe it's something else? He might get fed too much is the only other thing I can think of... I broadcast feed mysis every day.

tank.jpg

World Wide Corals

Kev036

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would need more info about your set up tank dimensions would help. I found BTA will find a place the call home and often or not it's not the spot you want it in. I had an amazing BTA and it chose to live behind the rock work out of view typical but it was happy the flow and lighting suited his needs so I let it be. When you move them you risk them floating around the tank and fighting powerhead they never win!

Kev036

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the depth of the tank matters because the light intensity maybe too much for the BTA which might be why it is hanging out on sand bed lowest point in tank also lowest intensity of light. can you turn down the intensity of the light see if it opens up then ramp up the intensity over time. is it new to the tank? has it recently split ? is it hosting? if you have been moving it it maybe sulking.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Zaven D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some anemones can be finicky imo.
There are multiple variables that could be bothering it, maybe it’s lighting, maybe it’s flow, could be a critter irritating it.

From personal experience I have nuked anemones anytime I try to throw them in my tank for two reasons one too much light, second being too much flow.

Always take into consideration that your tank size does matter in some cases but that’s paired with how high your lights are, how strong you are running them, and the strength of your power heads if you are running them. Par meter can be super helpful.

thedon986

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a very long light schedule. More than 12 hours? 9am to 11pm? Hard to tell looking at the pic. I never tan more than 2% for moonlights on my AI schedule. That looks like a pretty bright moonlight as well.

CLICK TO VIEW

thedon986

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had around 10 hours including sunrise and set and very low moonlights. I think I used royal blue and UV at 2-3 percent and also linked it to the lunar phase so 3% would be full moon and more like 1% or off for new moon phase.

thedon986

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had around 10 hours including sunrise and set and very low moonlights. I think I used royal blue and UV at 2-3 percent and also linked it to the lunar phase so 3% would be full moon and more like 1% or off for new moon phase.
8am-6pm but I work at home. Shift more towards evening if that is when you are home. My moonlights ended at 2am because I’m never awake to see them anyways.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m thinking it’s the light too. Makes the most sense. Any advice on a different lighting setup?
What light do you have and what are your current nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity? My nems are right under a kessil 360 at 95% and don't close up from the light.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back