My Battle with Blue Clove Polyps (BCP) using Fenbendazole - success!

BRS

Reeferbadness

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost a year of being in denial and watching the BCP plague spread throughout. most of my 200G mixed reef tank, I finally worked up the courage
to try Fenbendazole as it's the only way that i found that can eradicate this plague. BCP, or in my case, ugly brown/red clove polyps started as just a few tufts
on a rock, likely came with a frag and slowly but surely became very ugly and a threat to other corals - especially Zoa's.

I was able to get some pure Fenbendazole from a friend. For an in depth look at how to use Fenbendazole, check out the WP post by Max Draco HERE

Here's a some before and after photos.

One note, i ended up using 1 packet of Thomas Labs Fenbendazole - each packet is 250MG. Max Drago suggests 1MG per Gallon - so i was a little over the 1/2 dose with 1 packet.

It worked incredibly well within 3 days or so, but after 2 weeks, i noticed not all the BCP was gone so it hit it again with another 250MG packet just to make sure. In hindsight, i would do the full or even slighly more dose (in my case, 400MG) straight away - hit 'em hard approach that many others on this forum have advised.

Other reactions: i tried to take out all inverts - but a few hermit crabs and a snail or two were left. Incredibly, the crabs are still alive but moving pretty slowly.

Corals: My Zoa's protested for a couple of days but came back in full. No other harm was caused to softies, SPS or LPS corals and, hopefully my BCP nightmare is finally over.

Phosphates/Algae: I did have a big spike in Phos - from 0.00 to 0.16 in 2 days - due to BCP die off likely,. This triggered an already problematic algae situation but once things calm down, i'll bring back a grip of Turbo Snails, a couple of tuxedo urchins and more hermit crabs to hopefully clean things up nicely.

So for those with BCP issues, hang in there, there are a variety of Fenbendazole available, don't wait until your tank is completely overrun and when you do take this path, hit it hard 1x and wait for the magic to happen.

IMG_1017.png IMG_1111.png IMG_1112.png Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.45.55 AM.png

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this.... BCP came back ! Ugggg. Very frustrating. I did read from others who had this issue that they recommended hitting BCP hard with a full or even higher dose (recommended full dose is 2mg per gallon) so, after 1 month and BCP making a strong come back, i picked up some Panacur Dog Dewormer that is 22% Fenbendazole and dosed it with 2 x 1 G packages - enough for 222 Gallons in my 200G tank. Hope this works.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replied on another post you had written before nuking your tank with Fenbendazole..How is the tank looking with the 22%? I hope it works...I have BCP and recently gave up..the zoas seem to be the worse affected.
The 22% at 2 x 1g packets - enough for a full dose for 222g in my 200g worked like a charm! No more BCP and all coral survived, even some crabs ( a large hermit + an emerald crab).

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 22% at 2 x 1g packets - enough for a full dose for 222g in my 200g worked like a charm! No more BCP and all coral survived, even some crabs ( a large hermit + an emerald crab).
That is great news! I hope this will be it for you and BCP! Please let us know if things are still BCP free in a month. I am going to use your results as encouragement to try the 22% Fenbendazole! Thank you!

OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great news! I hope this will be it for you and BCP! Please let us know if things are still BCP free in a month. I am going to use your results as encouragement to try the 22% Fenbendazole! Thank you!
It’s been a little over a month now and I am 100% BCP free!! Still dealing with some hair algae issues despite Nitrate barely detectable and Phos 0.00 - but I’ll take that over BCP menace any day.

reefandfish85

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to do this but only have 65G mixed reef. since I only need ~0.07 grams ... I will have to get tiny scale.

I do have bubble tip anemone , will it make it or should I take out ?

Was there something else effected, any shrimps ?

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to do this but only have 65G mixed reef. since I only need ~0.07 grams ... I will have to get tiny scale.

I do have bubble tip anemone , will it make it or should I take out ?

Was there something else effected, any shrimps ?
Definitely use ur scale but u might want to use a little more than the standard amount - best to hit BCP hard and be done with it. As far as inverts, my Turbo snails were def affected, some like an emerald crab and a few hermit crabs survived without any issues. Not sure about anemone - should be but I’m Anenome free and don’t recall reading anything about them with this treatment.

One thing to watch out for is a Phos spike with the BCP die off - this caused an outbreak of hair algae which I’m still fighting.

Good luck !!

CoralB

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a little over a month now and I am 100% BCP free!! Still dealing with some hair algae issues despite Nitrate barely detectable and Phos 0.00 - but I’ll take that over BCP menace any day.
Try to get your pho’s up and the nitrates as when you zero them out you stand the risk of getting Dino’s

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

First Choice
Back