+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate any help in advance.

My Yellow Tang (who has been with me for 5 years and counting) is experiencing tail fin recession. First I thought he got in a scuffle with my Maroon Clown, then I noticed that there are a couple of orange "dots" on the its tail. My "hospital tank" has turned into a frag tank over the years so tonight I will be setting up a proper hospital tank to take care of my buddy. Any advice on what this could be, treatment and/or recommendations on setting up the hospital tank would be appreciated. I plan to use some sponge material from an established tank for nitrifying bacteria. 20 gallon. HOB filter. Heater. PVC for hiding. Power head for a little flow. Please let me know if you have any advice. I love this little one and want to make sure I it the best. Thank you.

IMG_2572.jpg

AS

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Steve - that that is not 'tell recession' - instead - its tail 'injury' from 'something' in the tank - my guess is its the maroon clown. There is no indication that I can see of infection. hope this helps - was the maroon clown added later?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping my 2 cents, sure looks like a couple of bites, very clean bites. Looks a lot like my Flame Angel's tail when he angers the purple tang. Grows back quick though.

Last edited:

Steve and his Animals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping my 2 cents, sure looks like a couple of bites, very clean bites. Looks a lot like my Flame Angel's tail when he angers the purple tang. Groes back quick though.
Reminds me of the melanurus wrasse I had that really liked to follow my Indian black trigger way too close, like right under his tail. One day the trigger turned around and bit a chunk out of his tailfin. Melanurus figured it was better to keep his distance after that.

albano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Steve - that that is not 'tell recession' - instead - its tail 'injury' from 'something' in the tank - my guess is its the maroon clown. There is no indication that I can see of infection. hope this helps - was the maroon clown added later?
+1
Maroon clowns are on my list of ‘never again’ fish!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Definite bite marks and will grow back, but the aggressor has to be separated

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back