Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, certain fish like wrasses produce a mucus cocoon to sleep in at night. I have a six line wrasse that produces pretty robust cocoons... They tend to survive a whole day or sometimes even more, so I have 2-3 of these clumps of mucus floating around or stuck on rocks/corals at any given time. I know they're not harmful but they're not particularly aesthetically pleasing if I'm nit-picking.

So I was wondering, how long do the cocoons last for you guys? Are there any critters that would eat them? My blue leg hermits and emerald crabs won't touch them.

I already have pretty decent flow -- any more and my euphyllia will be quite unhappy.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, certain fish like wrasses produce a mucus cocoon to sleep in at night. I have a six line wrasse that produces pretty robust cocoons... They tend to survive a whole day or sometimes even more, so I have 2-3 of these clumps of mucus floating around or stuck on rocks/corals at any given time. I know they're not harmful but they're not particularly aesthetically pleasing if I'm nit-picking.

So I was wondering, how long do the cocoons last for you guys? Are there any critters that would eat them? My blue leg hermits and emerald crabs won't touch them.

I already have pretty decent flow -- any more and my euphyllia will be quite unhappy.
I've never noticed them. @Crabby48 any suggestions.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do the mucous cocoons look like cobwebs? I’ve never really noticed them but have seen what look like cobwebs on my rockwork. Always wondered what they looked like but every tank I’ve had a mucous sleeping wrasse, the cobwebs have appeared.

OP
OP
Chrisanthellae

Chrisanthellae

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do the mucous cocoons look like cobwebs? I’ve never really noticed them but have seen what look like cobwebs on my rockwork. Always wondered what they looked like but every tank I’ve had a mucous sleeping wrasse, the cobwebs have appeared.

They look more like an amorphous blob/globe ime. Cobwebs on rockwork sounds more like vermetid snails to me.

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back