Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this thread with interest because I'm trying to find out the exact same thing. My preliminary findings are that the glass is too thick and it won't work well. MP10 is rated for 3/8ths inch glass and the RSR 170 G2's glass is 1/2 inch on the sides. I'm looking into whether you can run an MP40 at very low power, but in a two foot tank it sounds iffy.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
L

lostrider

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this thread with interest because I'm trying to find out the exact same thing. My preliminary findings are that the glass is too thick and it won't work well. MP10 is rated for 3/8ths inch glass and the RSR 170 G2's glass is 1/2 inch on the sides. I'm looking into whether you can run an MP40 at very low power, but in a two foot tank it sounds iffy.

That is the issue. I want something that size, but I don't want to go bigger--I had a very small tank before and it was so hard to get any wavemaker that wouldn't rip the flesh off my LPS corals. So trying to get the flow right here.

TheStrangler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact same boat. I wouldn't mind getting the MP40 as they're more future proof and people seem to like them over the MP10s, but how far they can be dialed back is the question. Have you looked into wide angle pumps? I'm wondering if they're the solution so you can just use one on center and have it put flow through the entire tank. People's comments on them tend to be negative because they "don't send the flow far enough" as they're dispersed wide rather than at a narrow angle, but that seems sort of ideal since they're talking about 4, 5, 6 ft tanks and we're trying to make it work for a two ft.

My other thought is how much a nem guard reduces flow, since that seems like an easily addable potential fix.

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if the MP10 will hold on the Red Sea Reefer's glass (12mm sides and 10mm front and back).

I have the tank, but wondering which pump to get.

Thanks!
For reference I have a RedSea 750xxl 200 gallons and two mp40s. One of them has fell off before, they’ve been on but still slightly loose. My RedSea wavemakers are a lot more secure, wish the mp40 were like that but they still work

AquaCave Logo Banner

Vagabond

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I'm not having any issues with the two mp10's on my 170,both are on the back glass.Not using the spacer, otherwise it won't hold.Only thing that I had difficulty with was the alignment of both sides.You have to play with the wet side so it doesn't make any clicking sounds.

Pudgeshambley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not having any issues with the two mp10's on my 170,both are on the back glass.Not using the spacer, otherwise it won't hold.Only thing that I had difficulty with was the alignment of both sides.You have to play with the wet side so it doesn't make any clicking sounds.
What percentage do you run them on. I have two in my e170 so have them on opposite sides because I can't put them in the back but run them at 75% during the day and 40% at night. Trying to figure out if that is too much flow

Vagabond

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What percentage do you run them on. I have two in my e170 so have them on opposite sides because I can't put them in the back but run them at 75% during the day and 40% at night. Trying to figure out if that is too much flow
One pump runs various modes from 75% to 20%.The other one from 50% to 15%.Only too much flow if you got sand being tossed everywhere and corals aren’t opening.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back