Mp10 ceramic fix……tried and it actually worked!!

Ecotech Marine

Kittypowpow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Soooo after seeing several posts about people using heat shrink to fix the ceramic on the inside or their eco tech power heads, I finally had my ceramic break and get blow in 1000 pieces all over my tank. I freaked out thinking I had to buy a whole new power head, but calmed down and realized I could just buy the wet side. So while looking for a sale on one, I came across some DIY fixes. I figured since I planned on buying a new wet side anyways, why not try and fix it for cheap……what’s the worst that could happen??? I “break” what’s already broken and buy another one….. like I was already going to do…..

So I ordered a box of pre cut heat shrink thingys on Amazon

No I did not need that many, but the whole pack was less than $10, so why not.

I took the broken one apart…. Much harder to get the guard off than I thought… I got one of the shrinks (that most tightly fit, but could still easily fit on) and using a lighter, shrunk it to the post. I then took another piece (one size bigger) and stunk it on top of the previous one.

I put everything back together and placed it back in the tank. When I first turned it on it was still making an awful racket, but after wiggling around the dry side a little and getting it matched up just right to the wet side…… BOOM. worked as if it was brand new!

I couldn’t believe it actually worked, but hope I can save someone else the money when theirs inevitably breaks. Best part, if you mess it up (over melt, use the wrong size, etc.) you can just use a razor blade and cut it off in one simple slice.

Hope this helps!

Top Shelf Aquatics

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kittypowpow help me out because I think I'm missing something in my understanding.

You're saying the shrink tubing goes over the ceramic shaft or whatever is left of the shaft? You shrink this with heat. And then you put a second slightly fatter shrink tube over the first one and shrink that one as well. I would think that two "coats" of shrink wrap would now make the shaft, or whatever is left of the shaft, way too fat to fit into the impeller portion. What am I missing?

OP
OP
Kittypowpow

Kittypowpow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So mine was only the metal shaft. All the ceramic was completely gone. The first shrink wrap wasn’t thick enough. So when I put it back together, there was still way too much wiggle room between the shaft and propeller, causing it to sound like death lol. So I put the 2nd layer on. When I reassembled the propeller and everything, it was slightly snug, but I could still easily turn the propeller. I think if you put it on and can’t freely turn the propeller, it’s probably too thick. The shrink wrap pieces I got were very thin, but just enough to do the job. Hopefully this helps. I wish I would have done a video or something when I did all of this to post. I can try and find a YouTube video to send you if you want?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mine was only the metal shaft. All the ceramic was completely gone. The first shrink wrap wasn’t thick enough. So when I put it back together, there was still way too much wiggle room between the shaft and propeller, causing it to sound like death lol. So I put the 2nd layer on. When I reassembled the propeller and everything, it was slightly snug, but I could still easily turn the propeller. I think if you put it on and can’t freely turn the propeller, it’s probably too thick. The shrink wrap pieces I got were very thin, but just enough to do the job. Hopefully this helps. I wish I would have done a video or something when I did all of this to post. I can try and find a YouTube video to send you if you want?

Now I got it....thanks for the clarification. The ceramic portion was totally gone leaving just the metal part, and the shrink wrap added back the thickness needed to properly fit into the impeller. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Kittypowpow

Kittypowpow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now I got it....thanks for the clarification. The ceramic portion was totally gone leaving just the metal part, and the shrink wrap added back the thickness needed to properly fit into the impeller. Thanks again.
Exactly!! :)

Nutramar Foods
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back