Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I am moving from Ohio to South Carolina this weekend and am planning on bringing my tank with me. Right now I am planning on using buckets to bring extra tank water. I'll recycle about 50% of my tank water. I'm going to put my sand and rocks in a bucket with tank water, and I am going to put my 4 fish, hermits, and snails in a 5 g bucket with about 2.5 gallons in it. I am going to keep my coral in bags probably in a cooler to make sure they stay the right temp. I might decide to do this with my fish too if more people suggest that. Let me know if anyone has any pro tips for moving an aquarium or if my plan is totally awful haha. Thanks!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I am moving from Ohio to South Carolina this weekend and am planning on bringing my tank with me. Right now I am planning on using buckets to bring extra tank water. I'll recycle about 50% of my tank water. I'm going to put my sand and rocks in a bucket with tank water, and I am going to put my 4 fish, hermits, and snails in a 5 g bucket with about 2.5 gallons in it. I am going to keep my coral in bags probably in a cooler to make sure they stay the right temp. I might decide to do this with my fish too if more people suggest that. Let me know if anyone has any pro tips for moving an aquarium or if my plan is totally awful haha. Thanks!
Depending on how old your tank is and your husbandry routine, dont forget to do a rip clean while you are taking everything apart.

Especially that sand. Rinse the crap out of it

907_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to look into rinsing the sand if you are reusing it, vs new. I just moved 300 miles, corals went into Tupperware, rock, fish and inverts into buckets. Added battery powered bubblers to the buckets. Crank the heat in the car and roll.

My pro tip is to bring some totes for a temporary housing while you get settled, tank cleaned etc. I used 30 gal totes, when you arrive dump all your goods in there with a heater and powerhead in each and you can then take time to clean everything and get re-built properly. Not necessary but helped my stress greatly :)

BRS
OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how old your tank is and your husbandry routine, dont forget to do a rip clean while you are taking everything apart.

Especially that sand. Rinse the crap out of it
What is a rip clean? The tank has only been up since October, so I can't imagine the waste build up is too much

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to look into rinsing the sand if you are reusing it, vs new. I just moved 300 miles, corals went into Tupperware, rock, fish and inverts into buckets. Added battery powered bubblers to the buckets. Crank the heat in the car and roll.

My pro tip is to bring some totes for a temporary housing while you get settled, tank cleaned etc. I used 30 gal totes, when you arrive dump all your goods in there with a heater and powerhead in each and you can then take time to clean everything and get re-built properly. Not necessary but helped my stress greatly :)
This is a great idea!! I'll have to do that with one of the totes i'm going to bring

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a rip clean? The tank has only been up since October, so I can't imagine the waste build up is too much
Basically blasting everything besides livestock with tap water hose and placing back into salt water.

You'd be surprised.
Ever rise brand new live sand?

BRS

907_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with new sand after my move as well! I didn't rip clean otherwise, but did brush algea off each rock with a toothbrush before reinstalling.

Having extra SW prepped to bring along if you can is great, or if you use the tote method, will have time to make some fresh upon arrival. I used about 50% old water and 50% new.

Only issues I had were that our Lawnmower jumped the night after our tank rebuild was completed, and somehow I lost (like, can't find it..) 1 frag during the process.. ahh!

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, even though the sand isn’t that old; just buy new. Or rinse rinse rinse!

As for everything else, your plan sounds fine. Lots of buckets, and lots of water. Small air stone for livestock.

Good luck! Please report back!
I got everything moved in yesterday! I had the fish in a bucket for about two days which is longer than I wanted but I took down the tank the night before I left and got a stand to set up the tank yesterday. I had an aerator and a rock in there to keep the ammonia down and the oxygen up. I had my coral in baggies in a cooler the whole time. I got everything set up. My devils hand leather seemed to be struggling until I got light on it. I ended up going to a LFS and getting a used Noopsyche K7 pro II that just fastened to the back of the tank instead of my hanging viparspectra because I didn't want to go through the hassle of drilling holes in the ceiling. Everything worked out and I'm super happy with the light. Here's a pic!

Attachments

• IMG_6384.jpeg
    IMG_6384.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 19
Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check out Tideline Aquatics it's my go to great people and certainly well kept store.
Haha I've got that a few times. I got my light today from Ocean Realm and water yesterday from Tideline. I was going to ask what your go to was. Ocean Realm was disorganized, but the owner was really helpful. Fish seem expensive down here haha. But coral seems a little cheaper

South Carolina reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I've got that a few times. I got my light today from Ocean Realm and water yesterday from Tideline. I was going to ask what your go to was. Ocean Realm was disorganized, but the owner was really helpful. Fish seem expensive down here haha. But coral seems a little cheaper
Imo ocean realms is disgusting. Just my initial thoughts on the place. Noticeable difference in the two stores. I'm new to the hobby so I don't have a reference on price elsewhere. I've purchased probably 3k from TL....

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo ocean realms is disgusting. Just my initial thoughts on the place. Noticeable difference in the two stores. I'm new to the hobby so I don't have a reference on price elsewhere. I've purchased probably 3k from TL....
I get that. I was not a fan of the organization of the store or how cramped it was but the owner was super helpful which was nice. Tideline wasn't as helpful for me yesterday but they definitely have more fish and are much clearner

Rusty_L_Shackleford

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say SC is full stay in Ohio lol....welcome to the south! I'm in west Ashley SC.
No one wants to stay in ohio. More astronauts are from ohio than anywhere else. Thats because being in ohio makes leaving the planet seem like a really attractive option. All kidding asside my closest lfs is jamrock corals but i def need to check out tideline next time in im down that way.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back