+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am finally ready to move my remaining livestock to a larger tank. I have two RBTA’s that I need to move, but the rocks they are on are covered in stuff I don’t want in my new tank. Lots of algae, haven’t seen any Aiptasia yet. How do I move them? Do I try to remove them from the rocks, or try to scrub the rocks?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the nems?

Got a few options.

Not great option 1, very carefully chisel away at the rock until you can safely remove them with only a bit of rock attached to the foot.

Hasn't worked for me option 2:

Some say you can hang anenomes upside down and they will eventually release. I've always gotten uncomfortable at about the 45 minute mark and abandoned this.

Best option IMO, make yourself an @Eagle_Steve nem cannon as seen below. They work!
PXL_20210713_211653273.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Vested

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the nems?

Got a few options.

Not great option 1, very carefully chisel away at the rock until you can safely remove them with only a bit of rock attached to the foot.

Hasn't worked for me option 2:

Some say you can hang anenomes upside down and they will eventually release. I've always gotten uncomfortable at about the 45 minute mark and abandoned this.

Best option IMO, make yourself an @Eagle_Steve nem cannon as seen below. They work!
View attachment 2329661
lol what is a nem cannon?!

beehive124

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the nems aren’t wedged in a crevice, you should be able to irritate the foot, so the nem will release. If the nems are wedged into the rock it’s a bit of a challenge to get them out. Hanging them upside down can work very well.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol what is a nem cannon?!
Do you see the picture?

PVC pipe slightly oversized in a sponge. Mess with the nem until it closes up. Cover it with the PVC and secure the sponge to the rock in any manner you can to give no other escape. The anemone will walk up the tube toward the light.

Vested

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see the picture?

PVC pipe slightly oversized in a sponge. Mess with the nem until it closes up. Cover it with the PVC and secure the sponge to the rock in any manner you can to give no other escape. The anemone will walk up the tube toward the light.
no way thats hilarious, picture almost looks photoshopped im gonna have to try that in the future.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no way thats hilarious, picture almost looks photoshopped im gonna have to try that in the future.
No photo shop. Just a great idea by a brilliant reefer ( clearly not this guy) I'm. 6/6 getting anemones off the rocks with this method and about zero stress to the animal.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FM
Back