Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a heck of a deal on a 300g tank on fb marketplace. The guy is also selling his livestock as well. Fish only tank but he has a 2.5 ft eel and an 8” puffer. I’d like to get some heat packs to keep the water warm as it’s an hour drive and a lot of stuff to unpack. What heat packs do you guys use? Any tips on moving a tank that large with livestock an hour? I have a bunch of tanks lying around I was going to use but wondering if I should just get some Rubbermaid tubs or something.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

rwreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

leighton.bingham

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a heck of a deal on a 300g tank on fb marketplace. The guy is also selling his livestock as well. Fish only tank but he has a 2.5 ft eel and an 8” puffer. I’d like to get some heat packs to keep the water warm as it’s an hour drive and a lot of stuff to unpack. What heat packs do you guys use? Any tips on moving a tank that large with livestock an hour? I have a bunch of tanks lying around I was going to use but wondering if I should just get some Rubbermaid tubs or something.
When I sold my last tank with livestock, I moved it all with Rubbermaid containers, and everything arrived alive. I wouldn't use heat packs they aren't needed unless there is snow where you are?

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the temp warm in your car as you drive with them in containers. Should work out fine. Have fresh salt water ready to do at the house. You could be up and running in a couple hours. I'd get a few battery operated air stones for the containers after you get to your house and are setting up the primary tank.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
K

keithw283

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would transporting the fish inside a cooler be an option? Might hold in some more warmth.
I do have a couple coolers. I could rinse them out and use those. The coolers aren’t huge though. Would the eel be okay in what I would call an average size cooler?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I moved my 115 gallon coral reef tank 3 years ago and it was not fun but i planned it and did over the course of 1 week but the moving day was hectic. I setup a temporary vat (same size as display), did multiple water changes and transfered the water to the new house so on moving day I would not have to transport too much water and just big igloo coolers. The one thing I underestimated is even in a 30 minute drive, the oxygen got depleted fast and one of my yellow tang nearly died. It was grasping for air and luckily survived. Only fish I lost during the move was my lyretail anthia.

I would absolutely recommend getting a cheap battery operated air pump of amazon. Either that or get some big buckets with lits and drill some holes on the top but these air pumps are great device to have bc they plug into the wall and during power loss provide life support to say a QT tank. Also I now use it for dipping corals so water is agitated - best value for $15.

You can crank up the heat in the car and this should be enough to keep the temp above 70 degrees but if you really want to spend extra cash add a heater. You can check out my build thread i put some pictures on page one of the chaos

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back