move vs set up new from scratch

Millerb415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i moved out of my parents house last summer and left my tank there which they have taken care of and all the fish are healthy and happy. . . but im not i miss having the tank. Im debating about moving the tank to my place but dont know how much work that would be or cycling a new tank and bringing over most of the equipment from the old tank and fish at the same time as well as some aged live rock from that tank. i have a couple harder to keep fish that are happy in there that i take great pride in. namely a morish idal and a copperband that i want as show pieces in this new build. but dont know would be best to transfer them over without too much stress on them.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard it would be depends on 2 main issues in my mind. One is, how big is the tank? The bigger it is, the harder it is to move (obviously). And second, how far would it be moving?

If you have the time, equipment and manpower to move it, I'd pack it up and move. But if you don't, maybe setting up new and moving it a little bit at a time, say over several weeks or longer.

OP
OP
M

Millerb415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard it would be depends on 2 main issues in my mind. One is, how big is the tank? The bigger it is, the harder it is to move (obviously). And second, how far would it be moving?

If you have the time, equipment and manpower to move it, I'd pack it up and move. But if you don't, maybe setting up new and moving it a little bit at a time, say over several weeks or longer.
100g and about a 10 min move so slowly moving over would be easy i just dont have a clue where to start with moving the 100g

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my son first got in the hobby, he bought tanks from folks, everything and moved in one big move. He had very good success. I also did that once successfully.

It takes planning and containers. Fish should have battery aerated pumps to assure that they don't get oxygen deprived.

Coral need to be transferred in something that they won't fall or tumble on each other.

Honestly for a move that short a distance, don't worry about temperature.

I keep a brute can of water but make the rest new. I also set the rock, coral and fish in immediately and get filtration going but scape when the tank clears in a day or so.

Now is a good time to choose a different tank if that is of any interest to you.

OP
OP
M

Millerb415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my son first got in the hobby, he bought tanks from folks, everything and moved in one big move. He had very good success. I also did that once successfully.

It takes planning and containers. Fish should have battery aerated pumps to assure that they don't get oxygen deprived.

Coral need to be transferred in something that they won't fall or tumble on each other.

Honestly for a move that short a distance, don't worry about temperature.

I keep a brute can of water but make the rest new. I also set the rock, coral and fish in immediately and get filtration going but scape when the tank clears in a day or so.

Now is a good time to choose a different tank if that is of any interest to you.
that is also what im thinking. it would be much easier to have one pre set up at my new spot and i can then put it where would ultimately want which would be a peninsula tank witch the current one is not and go rimless without a hutch I have very few corals in the tank and the once in thier im good not keeping I really just do not want to loose my copperband (lol). so im thinking I may just bight the bullet and build new and transfer parts over like protien skimmer (as it was too big for the 100 gallon tank anyway), roller mat, and control system. I guess its more i dont want to drop the 10k+ on a new system lol but know that is the better route.

OP
OP
M

Millerb415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im going to play it safe and set up a new one let it cycle and then caniblize stuff from the old tank when i move my fish over dont want to risk killing my fish not worth it so hard to find a copper band that wants to eat and a lot less stress on me

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im going to play it safe and set up a new one let it cycle and then caniblize stuff from the old tank when i move my fish over dont want to risk killing my fish not worth it so hard to find a copper band that wants to eat and a lot less stress on me
Yes, having special fish does make it more tempting to do whatever is necessary to increase your chances of success.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back