+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, first post on the forum.

So far in my all invertebrates tank I have 1 pink spotted watchman goby (paired with red pistol shrimp), 2 clownfish, astrea snails, Corinth snails, 2 turbo snails, a Persian sand conch, an emerald crab, an anemone crab, a sally lightfoot crab, a decorator crab, a coral banded shrimp, two peppermint shrimp, a pink pincushion urchin, a chocolate chip star, several different hermit crabs, and one hitch hiking snail I have yet to ID.
The tank is not going to have corals in it aside from overgrowth from my main tank occasionally. Just looking to hear what other inverts people enjoy watching & maybe see others’ full invert setups.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Hoopla

Hoopla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F2C9B9AD-7A61-4C1A-8FE1-4D7AD58F5209.jpeg

Here is my ID-less snail. Very dark, very small shell.

CLICK TO VIEW

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The starfish will be very problematic in there. Not only is it going to get huge and outcompete everything else but they can be predatory too, if not picked on by the faster crabs.

Chocolate chips I've used as harlequin feeders I thought would be safe with my mantis shrimp many years back, a 3" healthy o. scyllarus. I was wrong, not only on them being safe but on who was going to win if there was a problem, overnight I was down a mantis.

I'd recommend just avoiding stars in general for this, they're ok in a FOWLR setup but they're not invert safe at all and the ones that are usually starve to death (because they wont eat your inverts but rather something super specific). Urchin will be fine so long as there's enough for it to graze. Don't do pencil urchin, anything else is safe. I can't even recommend serpent stars, the only safe/not starving ones cause the crabs will tear them up.

How big is the tank? Peppermint and CBS might not get along, CBS are territorial to other shrimp and gets large enough to take them on.

Hermits will likely kill snails/each other for shells, just the way hermits go.

Spider decorator crabs are breath taking once you see a full grown one, they're fascinating, but huge like a full grown CBS so hopefully there's enough space. I can't speak on aggression cause mine pretty much kept to himself and would even hide his eyes whenever something else went near it, I wouldn't trust him in a community setup though, that was my attempt at an invert only tank too with a lobster, arrow crab, and him.

Is it an anemone porcelain crab? That probably won't do well TBH without a host anemone or coral, and I don't believe you could do a host anemone/coral with the decorator crab as it'll tear them up.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Innovative Marine - Made to Order
Back