Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , I am returning to the hobby after a 10 year break. I am doing a small 36 gallon with soft corals and live rock and maybe 4 or 5 fish.
My last tank I had a 55 gallon FOWLER with a canister and had no issues. However after reading this site I have learned that canister filters are no bueno for tanks with corals due to high nitrate. If I could start over I would have drilled and tried to put a sump with a refugium etc. I have found HOB options but would like if I could find an inexpensive HOB filter and use my own media or set up like I want. Does anyone have any recommendations for easily modifiable HOB filters / protein skimmer and or HOB refugiums ? The tank is 30” wide and a clearance in back of 4” or under wld be preferable.

5627DF62-0671-4322-8D2B-E73A2FAF6CE3.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would try the fluval C or aquaclear. The tidal irritates me as it has a built in bypass for water to flow around the filter media. As for hob refugiums/skimmers, I would check out the fijicube HOB refugium or the aquamaxx one.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will check them both out. I like the Tunze products and will see if they make a mini protein skimmer I can fit in the HOB or if I can find a larger protein skimmer that hangs on aquarium that isn’t an eye sore. I want to try and support US businesses and find products that are not overpriced. I know you get what you pay for and salt water is not an inexpensive hobby. I just admire those that can do the hobby well thinking outside the box. There is a joy in improvising and creating a system that works well. Creating a marine system that covers all 3 filtration parameters without breaking the bank. I know the expensive gear is worth the money and they have put in the R&D to justify the cost but tbh I got 4 kids and don’t have the extra cash lol. Thx for the replies y’all appreciate it !

Tradevg

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following... I'm in the planning process to setup a 27 gallon cube and am also looking for HOB sump ideas. I considered the FIJI 40 Gal AIO drop in kit but don't like that it is almost 5 inches deep and will take up a lot of space. It'd be perfect if I could modify it for use as an external HOB sump. The HOBs online I've seen are mainly refugiums or filters. The Aquamaxx HF-M looked promising but seems that wouldn't provide sufficient flow.. maybe I'm wrong. Also don't know how good the filter is on it. Would like to avoid plumbing a sump underneath for such a small tank. Planning to keep some softies, zoas, anemones. Would love ideas from the community.. thanks.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back