Moscow tank 65 gallons side sump sps reef

DES_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

So! I decided to design and create such a system - 120x45x45 centimeters, a tank with a side sump of 30 centimeters, for a full-size skimmer. It was created for me by a master from Belarus, Sergey.
IMG_20240919_094947_666.jpg

In the Russian community, I faced a huge wave of feces and criticism that I should have made such a system with a bottom sump. Only a few buddies supported me. I made such a system because I wanted to and that's it.
I think there are advantages to a system with a sump at the bottom, but also disadvantages, of course.
Anyway, it's created and it's alive, lol)
I don't know why the Russian people aren't like it so much, but I'm delighted with how it looks in its finished form.
20240829_201427.jpg

Filled and salted in August.
I used decoration from our truly great ceramic master Oleg Qudvin. His products are incredibly porous and light, well-ventilated by the flow, look beautiful and are convenient with ready-made places for plugs. Sorry about the wire on photo, I haven't fully figured out the equipment yet. Skimmer also is not installed yet.

The sump has three compartments: a receiving compartment where the skimmer will be, a middle compartment for the substrate, and a return compartment.
20240829_200556.jpg

This two tier acrylic basket will be installed in the middle section. One tier of siporax rings and one tier of pieces of living rock.
There is also 10 cm of water level above the basket. 28.8*14.5*10 centimeters, I think I'll make a small algae pond there or a place for acclimatization of frags.

Briefly about the equipment:
Skimmer Aqua Excel AE-DF-130
Pump - zksj blue 3000
Wavemakers - 3 pieces of zksj eco slim 10000 (with programmable controllers)
Light - Zetlight Qmaven Q6-90 and 2 led-bars blue/uv 85cm
Will be on hanging kit.

I suggested keeping this system on balling. Will use Aquaforest full set (4 packages + 4 components strong)
The doser is chihiros.

As you can see, the equipment is inexpensive and simple.

I plan 100% sps corals with centropyges. And some other small fish and other inhabitants. There are several fish swimming there now, one of them is Coral Beauty. And of course there is one Doctor shrimp, from the "must have" position

The system is maturing. There is no light and no corals yet. I planted different cerianthuses in the corners. Special things were developed for me that are placed in the corners, increase the soil layer, and they are ventilated and will not allow the sand to wash away, the cerianthuses will not run away, I will show these things later. I planted one with long tentacles and three others of the same genus in another corner, they do not need light, the main thing is that they are given food, hehe=) I love them

I hope someone will be interested to watch! Updates will come soon

OP
OP
DES_Reefer

DES_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to tell. Glass 12mm ultra-brightened. Sump partition - 10mm triplex.
I would be glad to receive your feedback and questions!

OP
OP
DES_Reefer

DES_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more detailed photos of our manufacturer's ceramic decoration
20240815_151931.jpg

20240815_151915.jpg

20240815_151849.jpg

This is not a stock model, this arch was made to order, according to the requested dimensions, hand-made by a professional sculptor

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
I would like to see this side sump that your fellow countrymen dont like in action. Here in America there are people like that also. But there are so manys ways to reef that no one particular way is more or less correct than another. It does not matter in the least where your sump is at imo. Many people put the sump in a different room even, either a room next to the tank or in a basement below. My system before I got out of the hobby in 2010 had a 120g in one room and a 125g in another room tied to a pretty elaborate "sump system" in the basement. Depends on what works for you. Its a lot easier to works on a sump next to or behind the tank than under. Check out Tidalgardens youtube channel a lot of their sumps are at the end of the tanks next to it to allow larger skimmers and easier maintenance.

OP
OP
DES_Reefer

DES_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
I would like to see this side sump that your fellow countrymen dont like in action.
Thank you for the support! I absolutely agree with you, there are just a lot of ways. I think the most important thing at first is imagine of what you want to see in your aquarium in terms of living creatures and their quantity, and then select the appropriate equipment for this, and it does not matter how it will be implemented, from above, below, side, rear or in the another room. Also can't wait to see it in action, I started from the fact that the sump should pull a good load, it has 1/3 of total volume of the tank. For my total tank volume i think the skimmer with good performance was chosen and there will be more than enough substrate. I now have an aquarium 50/50/40 with a rear sump of 15 centimeters and it works great, I do not see any problems or inconveniences with this. I'll post it later in another thread.

OP
OP
DES_Reefer

DES_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
Bit updates:
- installed box with siporax and live rocks
- added simple corals
- added fishes :
Macropharyngodon bipartitus female
Macropharyngodon meleagris female
20240928_213825.jpg
20240928_213725.jpg
20240928_213714.jpg

20240928_213710.jpg
20240928_213706.jpg
20240928_213701.jpg
20240928_213651.jpg

The light is about 30% all channels on the peak of the day
Put that for a few days, the apogee parmeter will arrive soon and I will make better settings
20240928_192009.jpg
the skimmer still not installed, will be installed tomorrow

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the support! I absolutely agree with you, there are just a lot of ways. I think the most important thing at first is imagine of what you want to see in your aquarium in terms of living creatures and their quantity, and then select the appropriate equipment for this, and it does not matter how it will be implemented, from above, below, side, rear or in the another room. Also can't wait to see it in action, I started from the fact that the sump should pull a good load, it has 1/3 of total volume of the tank. For my total tank volume i think the skimmer with good performance was chosen and there will be more than enough substrate. I now have an aquarium 50/50/40 with a rear sump of 15 centimeters and it works great, I do not see any problems or inconveniences with this. I'll post it later in another thread.
Just make sure to tag me so I know you posted it.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i think it looks good for a new started tank
After night.
20240930_071803.jpg
It looks like it is starting to come a long nicely, try and not get any kind of algae on that white rock, clean or cover up if you see any, and most important the parameters have to be in range for success.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DES_Reefer

DES_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's done.
325 par at the bottom / 510-520 par at the highest point of the decoration, so that's will good for acroporas tenuis
20240930_191841.jpg

Used apogee mq-510
The settings is:
Screenshot_20240930_191824_Horizon Aqua.jpg

Also Chinese led bars on 70% power
I decided to put 4 hours of the peak daylight
Now slowly will go to this settings =)

The parameters is not good for acroporas yet. I'll add them later.

OP
OP
DES_Reefer

DES_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. Bipartitus is a great fish, have one myself.
1727861575875.jpeg
My bipartitus is hiding every time in sand, only for few hours at the morning she's come out(( Maybe the time is not come yet, but I am worried. She eats. I saw it. But for example, meleagris swims all day and only at night burrows into the sand for the night. And Bipartitus only comes out in the morning for a short time...

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bipartitus is hiding every time in sand, only for few hours at the morning she's come out(( Maybe the time is not come yet, but I am worried. She eats. I saw it. But for example, meleagris swims all day and only at night burrows into the sand for the night. And Bipartitus only comes out in the morning for a short time...
Mine will occasionally play hide and seek. When she’s out try feeding and get into a routine time. My fish all act like hungry puppies when I get close to the tank and they haven’t been fed yet. Plus I have lots of hidey holes and that seems to make my fish feel more secure in general. This is my tank. Heavy on the rocks.
1727879984326.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back