+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,
I have a 100 gallon IM tank that I have been operating since August. It is doing great. Haven't lost any fish except for a jumper and one that got lodged in a crevasse in the rock.
The tank has LifeRock Dry Rock by Caribsea.
My question is can I add another piece of LifeRock or two since it is already cycled and happy?
If ok, what do I need to do to prepare the pieces?
Thanks!
Buzz

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion you must at least rinse well in tank or fresh salt water.

If your not in a terrible hurry I would probably put it in a barrel or bucket depending on size with a pump and some ammonia and cycle it. I switched out some live rock in a reef with Liferock, and only rinsed. Thought I would be fine as I left over 1/2 of the existing rock (I was moving out aggressive corals as I wanted to move in a new direction) I have experienced an algae bloom of some kind and lost several corals. Not sure if they are related or just circumstantial (I also tanked phosphates and had a Alk swing, took my eye off the ball as I set up another system). Have a new microscope coming as I tried one that attaches to my phone, but think there is either scratches on the phone or the attachment I bought as it isn’t clear.
So for my 2 cents worth I would try to cycle it a little to avoid problems.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be fine, I've added 50+#s of dead rock at once too well established tanks and the only thing I've noticed is the new rock will go through its own minor ugly phase. Also my #1 key to keeping a healthy aquarium is alot of rock, the more the merrier.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tropic Marin USA
Back