Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i let my tank go completely dark at night. I thought that was the norm.
So do I. I do however only have 6 hours of complete darkness. With 4 hours of peak and everything in between fading in or out.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

CoastalTownLayabout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get it to work but was wondering what the benefits of it would be.

Synchronised spawning of coral is known to be tied to specific lunar phases but I’m not sure there’s any high degree of confidence as to whether moonlight or tidal movement is the triggering mechanism. Either way it’s unlikely using the lunar app on your AI will increase reproductive success rates in your tank.

If you’re young and single though, its demonstration will certainly increase your mystic cred and deeply impress any visiting stoner chicks. This in turn may increase your reproductive success rates.

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synchronised spawning of coral is known to be tied to specific lunar phases but I’m not sure there’s any high degree of confidence as to whether moonlight or tidal movement is the triggering mechanism. Either way it’s unlikely using the lunar app on your AI will increase reproductive success rates in your tank.

If you’re young and single though, its demonstration will certainly increase your mystic cred and deeply impress any visiting stoner chicks. This in turn may increase your reproductive success rates.
It hasn't impressed my wife that thoroughly yet.

DaJMasta

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if AI's software supports mimicking moon cycles, but having a moonlight and varying it with a 28 day cycle can help coordinate spawning in the tank. Corals use it, but most other broadcast spawning reef creatures do too, running it to mimick moon cycles with my XR30 and checking for eggs/larvae in the evenings has shown me that most of my creatures will avoid the new moon for spawning all together (many larvae navigate by moonlight when first hatched), and that I'll get the most spawning activity in the few days that follow it.

Outside of spawning, I don't know if there's much use/benefit unless you just want to barely be able to see your creatures at night.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Your Reef
Back