Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m noticing some dark white “fluff” developing on some of the edges of my Montipora ‘mystic sunset’. It’s difficult to blow off with a pipette/coral feeding baster and when I do remove it, it comes back. I dipped it in KoralMD when I got the plug a few weeks ago and other than this stuff on the edges, it looks really good with full PE.
Params:
Temp: 79F
35ppt
pH 8.2
Alk- 8 dKH
Ca- 420ppm
Mg- 1380ppm
NO3- 10ppm
PO4- 0.01ppm

Last edited:
BRS
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it has been stung, is there any other coral or anemone nearby?
Some corals may sting from far away by releasing long sweepers, it usually happens at night.

Your parameters look fine to me - were there any swings in the past couple of weeks?
The closest coral that could possibly sting it would be an Aussie torch but it’s a good 6-7” away and the flow is pretty high in that spot which I would think would make it difficult for it’s sweeper to make contact. I’ve observed at night and have never seen it’s sweeper out but it’s definitely a possibility. The only other think I can think of would be something in the frag tank from the LFS that I acquired it from. I didn’t see anything closed enough to it in there, but there are also a lot of aiptasia in that frag tank.
I pulled it earlier and gave it a good 10 minute dip in Seachem Reef Dip (iodine) to see if that helps.

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it doesn't sound like the torch was responsible for it.
It could very likely be an early infection from your LFS that kept developing in your tank, dipping in Iodine was a good call.

Keep an eye on it and see how it progress, it may take some time to start regrowing again.

Corals.com
OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it doesn't sound like the torch was responsible for it.
It could very likely be an early infection from your LFS that kept developing in your tank, dipping in Iodine was a good call.

Keep an eye on it and see how it progress, it may take some time to start regrowing again.
Thanks for the responses. My fingers are crossed that it doesn’t progress.

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back