Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these any specific Brittle Star? All of these were in one small colony of WWC Cherry Tree monti. The colony had faded over the last few months and parts where dying off. I could see their legs sticking out of the dead parts but had no idea there was this many. They agitated the Monti and it was slowy withering away. Anyone ever heard of a Monti specific brittle star pest?
20170901_152800.jpg

Good news, no nudibranchs!!!!!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Sabellafella

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have millions of these guys so let me try to explain my opinion in short words. They prevent any and all sps from growing over their "hole or home".. all my colonys they live under, so when the coral fully encrust, theres always that little spot they eat away to make sure theyre home isnt sealed off. So if you have reason to believe something along those lines, they could be doing harm
Are these any specific Brittle Star? All of these were in one small colony of WWC Cherry Tree monti. The colony had faded over the last few months and parts where dying off. I could see their legs sticking out of the dead parts but had no idea there was this many. They agitated the Monti and it was slowy withering away. Anyone ever heard of a Monti specific brittle star pest?
View attachment 571672

Good news, no nudibranchs!!!!!

OP
OP
DLuce510

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have millions of these guys so let me try to explain my opinion in short words. They prevent any and all sps from growing over their "hole or home".. all my colonys they live under, so when the coral fully encrust, theres always that little spot they eat away to make sure theyre home isnt sealed off. So if you have reason to believe something along those lines, they could be doing harm
Thanks dude. I agree. I have a good amount of brittle stars, most established systems should. This is the first time I've noticed them really doing harm. Gotta love Bayer dips, completely nuked them!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Sabellafella

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks dude. I agree. I have a good amount of brittle stars, most established systems should. This is the first time I've noticed them really doing harm. Gotta love Bayer dips, completely nuked them!
A potassium chloride dip kills them instantly, they turn red and litterally melt away.

Sabellafella

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have tons and never experienced any eating my acropora or montipora. They even live in the zoa colonies
Me too, i love them and actually save them all from my weekly filter sock change lol! They are harmless, but have seen them only do what i explained above. Other then that, ive never experienced harm, theres a couple people i know that dislike them. Theyll steal food out of corals mouths around safe hours(or nighttime). Thats of course, if you had tons of them hanging around =)

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back