Monitipora - Newbie

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I purchased a redcap monti - it's my first crack at SPS. I noticed that this coral along the edges and around appear to have a trim of white - is this natural and nothing to worry about, or is this indicative of too much light, which I'd be surprised as PAR is 210 where it's at.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like new growth.
Thank you. I was told that this is the best start to SPS type corals - is it challenging to have a mixed reef of SPS and LPS and soft corals? Given the Nitrates and Phosphates requirements.

Shawnd08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was told that this is the best start to SPS type corals - is it challenging to have a mixed reef of SPS and LPS and soft corals? Given the Nitrates and Phosphates requirements.
I think the bigger challenge with a mixed reef is getting the flow and lighting dialed in. I have a mixed reef and keep my Phosphate around 0.04ppm and Nitrate around 10ppm. You can have success with lower and higher levels, Stability is the best thing for any tank.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sounds like new growth to me so long as the rest of it is not faded or browning.

I think the challenging part to deal with in a mixed reef is coral warfare, flow, lighting. The nutrients is the easy stuff lol.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back