Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After mixing a fresh batch of saltwater, I measure the salinity and it's at 1.026 - with a powerhead still on, I leave it over night, and the next afternoon, the salinity dropped to 1.024! I'd think it would be the other way around, but not in my case. I used the same instrument to measure the salinity, and also I tend to verify again with a floating hydrometer, and the reading holds true.

Is it normal for salinity to drop?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After mixing a fresh batch of saltwater, I measure the salinity and it's at 1.026 - with a powerhead still on, I leave it over night, and the next afternoon, the salinity dropped to 1.024! I'd think it would be the other way around, but not in my case. I used the same instrument to measure the salinity, and also I tend to verify again with a floating hydrometer, and the reading holds true.

Is it normal for salinity to drop?
Certain salt brands say not to mix with powerhead for more then 2 hours. Maybe that has something to do with it. I use a circulation pump in a brute for 1.5 hours to mix salt water up.

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What temperature was the water when you mixed it, vs. when you took the reading the next day? Specific gravity / salinity readings are temperature dependent. If your methodology doesn't account for that, and isn't compensated, it could very well explain the different measurements.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Instant Ocean Reef (using up the last batch and will switch out as I"m not too happy with the salt anyways).

I'm mixing at room temperature....I made a 5 Gal bucket of RODI, and didn't get the chance to mix the salt until the day after, so the temperature was the same for 3 days as is.

Weird.

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using Instant Ocean Reef (using up the last batch and will switch out as I"m not too happy with the salt anyways).

I'm mixing at room temperature....I made a 5 Gal bucket of RODI, and didn't get the chance to mix the salt until the day after, so the temperature was the same for 3 days as is.

Weird.
Room temp does fluxuate. That being said, when mixing, pumps add heat to the water. That could be your variation.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mattdg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix IO into a 60 gallon drum every month or so and let the powerhead mix for 12 hours / over night. Not a problem. One thought is your powerhead is heating up the SW, causing the perceived drop in SG.

An idea is to heat your bin up to display tank temperature and adjust the SG to where you want it. Then let it cool down to your average room temp and take another reading. This will be your SG target, for mixing room temperature water.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re using apex with temp compensation then temp doesn't affect salinity reading. This is a 7 day period from 67 degree water to 77 degree water. Notice salinity reading doesn’t change
05198B8C-65EF-4AD9-B97B-AB9546661CBA.png

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back