+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I currently make my own Iron and Manganese solution that I've been manually dosing (two or three times a week) for over a year without any issues.

I'm wanting to combine the two solutions with some RO water so I can setup my doser to auto dose from a single container. It's mainly to save me having to dose it manually and hopefully I'll be able to stabilise the levels instead of them jumping up and down when I manually dose them.

I'm also wanting to combine Iodine and Boron. These are both shop bought instead.

I've attached a chart that suggests the two sets of elements can be combined without issue but wanted to just double check there were no issues before I potentially blow my house up

TIA

Attachments

• ce_compatibility_chart.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 15
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
D

DannyBoyGunner

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Nyos Active Elements which contains manganese and iron and Nyos Active Iodine which contains iodine and boron (I can't say what the ratios are, but it appears as those are ok to mix). YMMV!
Ah that's interesting. Sounds like you've confirmed it for me then. Does it tell you the exact chemicals in the solution? I would guess it'll just be iron, manganese and RO water to make it watered down and maintain their profits

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are complexities that make this a complicated question. Many trace elements come in different oxidation states, and those states can react with one another. Also, simple dilution in air can oxidize some of them, and these changes can impact solubility and bioavailability.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that's interesting. Sounds like you've confirmed it for me then. Does it tell you the exact chemicals in the solution? I would guess it'll just be iron, manganese and RO water to make it watered down and maintain their profits
It includes the main ones as well as "others", but no idea of ratio, etc. (just that those elements are included in each bottle)

@Randy Holmes-Farley has the best answer.

OP
OP
D

DannyBoyGunner

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are complexities that make this a complicated question. Many trace elements come in different oxidation states, and those states can react with one another. Also, simple dilution in air can oxidize some of them, and these changes can impact solubility and bioavailability.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not great with the chemistry side of things. I make the iron by dissolving a single tablet in 100ml of RO and then make the manganese by mixing Manganese Chloride Tetrahydrate with RO water too. Once mixed it stays in a water tight container until it's dosed.

I was playing dumb and thinking if I normally dose these at the same time manually into the tank. Why couldn't I combine the solutions into one container and auto dose it. Maybe I'm playing it too simple? If it's too risky then I might have to find some other solution.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back