+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I was just wondering if anyone has had success in mixing clownfish species.
Like 2 x Ocellaris and 1 x Clarkii for instance? I know maroons are little demons and not likely to work.

I have heard and read mixed reports about this. If you have done this, could you please also state the tank size, amount of rock work/decorations/line of sight breaks, feeding, hosting, anemones etc..

Thanks in advance.

Nutramar Foods

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size?

Although I would probably take the length, multiply by the total volume, and divide by the square root of “Nope” to find your answer.

Others I am sure will disagree, but even three of the same type is dicey.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would seem to think so. I ask as I was at my LFS the other day, and he showed his personal aquarium (40ish gallon reef set up) with three clowns living together. Apparently he has had them like this for about a year. Or so he said.... maybe it was just a sales tactic haha.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

InkedReefLady

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think like with anything, 'it depends'. I run a 28 gallon long tentacle anemone tank and have 4 orange skunks and 2 'designer' clowns in it. Now, there are plenty of tentacles to go around so that breaks things up, and they're fine (years of being fine).

In our 300 gallon, we have 6 'designer' clowns and they all have plenty of room, but one of them gets pushed around and relegated to behind the gyre pump on occasion. Go figure.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think like with anything, 'it depends'. I run a 28 gallon long tentacle anemone tank and have 4 orange skunks and 2 'designer' clowns in it. Now, there are plenty of tentacles to go around so that breaks things up, and they're fine (years of being fine).

In our 300 gallon, we have 6 'designer' clowns and they all have plenty of room, but one of them gets pushed around and relegated to behind the gyre pump on occasion. Go figure.
did you add the clowns at the same time?

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible to mix species? Yes, but it can increase the risk. You may find better success by staying within the same clownfish complex (group of species) such as the Clarkii complex, Skunk complex, etc. Good luck!

BRS

InkedReefLady

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you add the clowns at the same time?

For the 28 gallon, the skunks were added at the same time, but the other 2 were added much later.

In the 300 gallon, 5 of the 6 were added at the same time. The 6th one is the one that gets picked on some times.

Best practice is to add all at the same time. Otherwise, you are taking a risk. Fishes all act so differently and so the result is subjective. Even if you add them all at the same time, they will develop a pecking order.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Biota Marine Life
Back