Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand bed depth seems to be a topic that breeds strong opinions and devoted followers of very different approaches as revealed in the following series of posts, among others.

(https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pros-vs-cons-deep-sand-bed-vs-shallow-sand-bed.87740/)

However, does one approach preclude the other? I am setting up my first sump-based marine aquarium, a 50 gallon cube 24"x24"x20". I have one piece of hardscape that will come from my current 15 gallon FOWLR (with a few zoa's and paly's) tank.

I am wondering about a mixture of deep sand bed and shallow sand bed. I envision a cavern like one would see on a typical near-shore scuba dive with rock outcroppings coming forward to the front of the tank with a tapering sand bed between them. Significant tapering of substrate depth is common in freshwater aquascaping (where I have a little more experience) but I have not seen it discussed much in reef aquaria.

Any experience mixing deep and shallow sand beds? Any particular troubles? I would plan to leave the sand bed basically alone...maybe some minor vacuuming of the shallower areas.

2B95C0AC-1281-4ECB-9E81-AFB461EB8BDF_1_201_a.jpeg 4075E644-B09D-4E57-85F6-C45150C7801B.jpeg F0DCB1A5-02B1-40A9-B1A5-4FFD114EDE40_1_201_a.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

Chrille26

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats how my sandbed is unintentionally since my sandsifting goby pushes sand around mostly to the back, my black clownfish makes a hole in the sand to sleep and currents move the sand around.
I havent really noticed anything negative or positive about it, the deeper parts have some sort of worms burrowing around in it and it tends to grow more algae and buildup of detritus on the glass where the sand covers it.
Other then that it seems to work fine.
I do try to move the sand back while doing maintenance but its soon back to where the goby wants it. :p
sb1.jpg

OP
OP
sg88

sg88

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats how my sandbed is unintentionally since my sandsifting goby pushes sand around mostly to the back, my black clownfish makes a hole in the sand to sleep and currents move the sand around.
I havent really noticed anything negative or positive about it, the deeper parts have some sort of worms burrowing around in it and it tends to grow more algae and buildup of detritus on the glass where the sand covers it.
Other then that it seems to work fine.
I do try to move the sand back while doing maintenance but its soon back to where the goby wants it. :p
View attachment 1572639
beautiful setup...and the sort of concept I envision, although planned rather than acquired (maybe our fish know more than we do about the ocean!) and thinking even deeper on the back. Do you vacuum you sand through and through, just the surface or not really at all...especially the back thicker area?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

SteveG_inDC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a diver and get the idea of wanting your tank to look like the ocean, but this could be hard. I would think the sand will level itself over time unless you install a barrier, in which case it won't be sloped. Best bet if you want to this route might be to point a powerhead at the shallow part to keep it that way. Sandsifters and gravity could always undo your work though.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back