Missing Fish

Caloy_G7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh! Sad and Frustrating!!! Because I cant find the dead clown fish. I was finally able to cycled my tank Saturday and bought 2 clown fish ,a diamond watchman goby, some CUC (3 nessarius, 3 astreas, 3 mex turbo)

When kids arrived home today they only found 1 clown, and watchman goby and the other is missing. I presumed the worst because the joker probably jumped out of the tank. I confirmed when I got home just now that the other is missing.

I walked everywhere the basement looking for the dead clown and cant find it, even looked around the rocks or with the goby nothing. I also looked at the sump, powerheads, nooks and crannies and around the stand but nothing.I even shut off the return pump, maybe for some reason, it may have been sucked in by the overflow but no luck. I had the lights on while we were gone.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wayy to many fish too fast. Sounds like you overloaded the bioload on the tank and thats whats killing fish. As for the dead ones your crabs are probably eating it

OP
OP
C

Caloy_G7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wayy to many fish too fast. Sounds like you overloaded the bioload on the tank and thats whats killing fish. As for the dead ones your crabs are probably eating it
I didnt have a crab, just snails. 9 altogether on a 55 gal. 3 on the rock, 3 in the glass, and 3 nassarius are buried in the sandbed

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree you stocked too many fish too fast.

If you had no lid on the tank they would have jumped, and once they hit the floor they wiggle for a while so they can move under furniture, to very unlikely places.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would invest in a lid for your tank, fish like gobies can jump out of the tank. I'll agree with everyone else that you are stocking your tank too quickly. Slow down, nothing good comes quick in this hobby!

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have hiding spots in the rockwork, the clowns could be hiding, also check the sump.

A cycled 55g should be able to handle 3 fish BUT diamond gobies should not go into "new" tanks, they are sandsifters and VERY PRONE to jumping so no lid is likely to end up as a french fry.

OP
OP
C

Caloy_G7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all the replies, yep definitely getting a lid. As for other pets no. Im just baffled that even if it jumped out itll be somewhere on the carpet around the basement, I dont have that much furniture in there besides a pool table and some chairs. The goby made himself at home and already dug up his home under the rocks, but I get it I need to get one of those net lids.

Reefing4L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on investing in a nice secure lid. I had way too many fish go carpet surfing over the years

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all the replies, yep definitely getting a lid. As for other pets no. Im just baffled that even if it jumped out itll be somewhere on the carpet around the basement, I dont have that much furniture in there besides a pool table and some chairs. The goby made himself at home and already dug up his home under the rocks, but I get it I need to get one of those net lids.
They probably died in the tank and the nassarius snails cleaned up the carcasses quickly.

OP
OP
C

Caloy_G7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since posted this but I think I figured it out since I lost my last clown today. They got sucked into the wave maker. Im not sure how but I may have to get a nano or a gyre where the openings arent big. One thing I noticed that my last clown wasnt eating either and not sure if the wave maker is stressing the clown fish, or the goby does the stressing or just being by itself.

Besides not eating the clownfish is also turning white, which i thought was brook but I went to my LFS and confirmed its not but recommended to give metroplex and focus just incase.

Diamond goby the only tank mate is doing well, tearing up the sand bed and most of all its eating all the pellets I give.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides not eating the clownfish is also turning white, which i thought was brook but I went to my LFS and confirmed its not but recommended to give metroplex and focus just incase.
Turning white is definitely worrying, post a pic if you can
They got sucked into the wave maker. Im not sure how but I may have to get a nano or a gyre where the openings arent big. One thing I noticed that my last clown wasnt eating either and not sure if the wave maker is stressing the clown fish,
No reason why a healthy clownfish would ever get sucked into a powerhead. Something else is going on here, probably illness

OP
OP
C

Caloy_G7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Heres a short vid last night she was super skinny, Ive tried flakes, pellets recommended by LFS, and frozen. Also added metropex and focus since I was worried last week about the fin turning white. My diamond goby was is still good and well. I did check my parameters and also and all normal (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite).

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the tank parameters currently and what are you using to monitor them? are you using rodi water or tap and conditioner?

@Jay Hemdal is much better than me with illness but i usually go with tank parameters first. This might be an ammonia issue still. Adding fritzyme 9 has been great for me with cycling tanks fast and getting rid of immediately toxic ammonia.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back