+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

After being 12 months out from the hobby I'm back!

I bought a second hand 120L (30 gallon) aquaone mini reef it came with a mesh top and glass lid, a big plus considering I wanted to slow down evaporation. Yes, an ATO would solve this problem, however, I'm looking to build features over time and this is lower on my list with the lid included.
It came with a black box light, pop bloom shannon 40 which has three channels (moonlight? Blue, white and red/green) it'll do for now!
The next step is to get a pump to do the job. I've been looking at hydors but love the gyre flow and controllability of the maxspect jump 2k.
Regarding scape, I got a 9.1kg box of life rock shapes and some carribsea Fiji pink substrate. The life rock is excellent and perfect for my build, though I did end up buying one life rock and breaking into a few bits for a rumbled section for Zoas, GSP and an encrusting (Cyphastrea maybe?)

20230410_144725.jpg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Rocktron1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good

I had a pop bloom originally before upgrading to the AI prime hd 16 for 25g tank

The pop bloom is easy to use and programme tho. Interesting I've never seen anyone keep the stock light (mariglow) that comes with the mini reefs

OP
OP
SeanFinn

SeanFinn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on pumps and coral

Pump
After considering controllability and circulation I decides go opt with the Maxspect Gyre Jump 2k. Now, a lot of comments I read about this noted that even the minimum setting would create too much flow for my size tank (120L/30gal). However, some said that capping oneside of the pump would cut total power in half and thus reduce flow. I was really worried that a random flow pattern at such low ranges would provide very little 'random' flow given the lack of range for the variability.
My solution, place the pump vertically on the right of the back wall. Face one pump along the back wall to reduce dead spots. The other pump pushing water at a slight angle toward the front glass. Midway it runs into the return flow creating some chaotic flow as well. I have found, with the fish/nem protector, I can run it between 10-80% on random and get great flow that doesn't thrash my Duncan's around.
If you want to know more about my experience with the pumps please message me. This is my third reef build and I always obssess/stress about the perfect flow and I can say that I am really happy with how this pump works for my tank.

RODI
When thinking about the cost of the build I challenged the neccessity of running RO/DI. Well, unsurprisingly, that was a mistake! Noting that my tank was cycling, algae came along and it got a little ugly, not an awful soupy mess, but not ideal. I found that running RO/DI cleared up algae in my water like nothing else! I'll never run a tank without it. There is something satisfying about crystal clear water.

First corals
After fishless cycling and experimenting with flow, I decided to add my first corals. The Duncan's are a great tool to understand how my flow is working and it seems to be going to plan.
Duncan's
Calasutrea
3x Blastos
2x micros
20230414_172917.jpg

20230414_172927.jpg

20230414_172924.jpg

20230414_172921.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeanFinn

SeanFinn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting upgrade and more coral

Lighting
I really deliberated over this. I had thoughts of a mixed reef which tossed my mind all over the place. Though I have returned to an LPS and softie tank. I did consider the Maxspect Jump 65watt as opposed to an AI Prime. But I learned a valuable lesson in this hobby with my last time. Only go as large as you can with high quality gear. I experimented with cheaper lighting before and experienced poor quality mounts (one of which failed ended up in the tank!) The same light that took a swim was noticeable dimmer that the other despite being on the same schedule. Long story short, buy quality gearnyou can trust. Yes it is expensive but a smaller tank will help with that.
So! Despite a week or two of guilt, I bought a brand new gen 6 radion xr15. For me it would
As a massive expenditure but I am confident it will do the job for many years. Not only that but the colour I am getting from my coral is second to none. Now my problem is that I can't conceive of buying any other Lighting but radions. The controllability, lunar mode, acclimation mode, presents. On top of the incredible stock diffusion and coverage. Just amazing.

Coral and a fish
About four weeks later I managed to pick up three corals from an LFS for $60 AUD. Super stoked!
My parter ended up buying a lovely piece of coral after asking her to pick up a sixline Wrasse. The sixline has loads of character! I have always been a massive Wrasse fan but the 120L meant that I could no longer keep my absolute favourite fish, the Red Head Solon Wrasse. I never had any intention of running fish but a pest eater with a future bicolour blenny algae eater would serve my coral purposes well.
A local reefer gave me a few experimental sps pieces, though I was excited to trial them, I know the top of my rock work doesn't recieve the flow needed for them and lower rockwork placement likely doesn't have the PAR. We will see what happens. He also gave me a Green Bubble Tip Anemone which I'm not sold on but he mentioned it's currently living in his lit sump and that I may aswell see how he goes in my system.
1x Sixline
1x Riccordea Yuma
2x Acan Echinata
1x GSP
1x Seriatapora
1x Montipora Capricornis
1x Montipora Digitata
1x Green Bubble Tip Anemone
1x Staghorn
20230515_193938.jpg

an2_20230428_203544.jpg

an2_20230428_203625.jpg

20230509_175107.jpg

20230509_175124.jpg

20230509_175134.jpg

20230509_175202.jpg

20230523_183746.jpg

20230523_183759.jpg

20230523_183811.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeanFinn

SeanFinn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral update

Coral and flipping on Anemones
Ok so I'm loving the little Green Bubble Tip Anemone. A can't even decide why! Haha, sometimes that's how reefing goes. I remember, when planning out my reef, being pretty set against having any news. My nem is hanging out in a secluded spot in the rock work. He still receives light but not a lot. Maybe 100 PAR? Well the tips are still nice and bubbly with pick tips. Well, it grew on me and I had a chance to buy a forest fire coloured Rose Bubble Tip Anemone. The second nem just got place in my tank today. The top rock work is bare aside from the Yuma I moved up there and the green nem is fairly far from the new nem... I guess I'll see what happens here. I got a few other pieces with the nem order and and thoroughly loving my little reef. There is a small bit of trepidation about future moving plans of the new nem. But it's all part of the journey. I'm hoping it finds a spot on the top rock work. I placed him near a small crevice which he easily squidgy hime self through and now hangs cliffhanger style under an arch. Though it revives plenty of light. I'd still like to see it move upwards so I can enjoy the beitiful Green fully lit against the red bubbled tentacles.
On sps, the flow was too weak, I ran the system without a lid which exacerbated salinity swings I had after not calibrating my refractometer after a water change.

Scaping
A small note on shaping. I bought a new rock to break up and place front right for Zoas, GSP and Cyphastrea. I had more rock remaining than what I'd planned so I took two pieces and with a small amount of glue, attached to the overflow box. One favia has today called it home and I intend to have the other be the home for a Leptastrea is the John deer colour.

1x Rose Bubble Tip Anemone - Forest Fire
1x Symphyllia (sold as a lobo??)
1x Lobophyllia
1x Favia - Dragon Soul
1x Cataphyllia
20230523_172625.jpg

20230523_183821.jpg

20230523_183827.jpg

20230523_183850.jpg

20230523_183902.jpg

20230523_183930.jpg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral update

Coral and flipping on Anemones
Ok so I'm loving the little Green Bubble Tip Anemone. A can't even decide why! Haha, sometimes that's how reefing goes. I remember, when planning out my reef, being pretty set against having any news. My nem is hanging out in a secluded spot in the rock work. He still receives light but not a lot. Maybe 100 PAR? Well the tips are still nice and bubbly with pick tips. Well, it grew on me and I had a chance to buy a forest fire coloured Rose Bubble Tip Anemone. The second nem just got place in my tank today. The top rock work is bare aside from the Yuma I moved up there and the green nem is fairly far from the new nem... I guess I'll see what happens here. I got a few other pieces with the nem order and and thoroughly loving my little reef. There is a small bit of trepidation about future moving plans of the new nem. But it's all part of the journey. I'm hoping it finds a spot on the top rock work. I placed him near a small crevice which he easily squidgy hime self through and now hangs cliffhanger style under an arch. Though it revives plenty of light. I'd still like to see it move upwards so I can enjoy the beitiful Green fully lit against the red bubbled tentacles.
On sps, the flow was too weak, I ran the system without a lid which exacerbated salinity swings I had after not calibrating my refractometer after a water change.

Scaping
A small note on shaping. I bought a new rock to break up and place front right for Zoas, GSP and Cyphastrea. I had more rock remaining than what I'd planned so I took two pieces and with a small amount of glue, attached to the overflow box. One favia has today called it home and I intend to have the other be the home for a Leptastrea is the John deer colour.

1x Rose Bubble Tip Anemone - Forest Fire
1x Symphyllia (sold as a lobo??)
1x Lobophyllia
1x Favia - Dragon Soul
1x Cataphyllia
View attachment 3165665
View attachment 3165684
View attachment 3165685
View attachment 3165686
View attachment 3165687
View attachment 3165688
Nice new coral!

OP
OP
SeanFinn

SeanFinn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good

I had a pop bloom originally before upgrading to the AI prime hd 16 for 25g tank

The pop bloom is easy to use and programme tho. Interesting I've never seen anyone keep the stock light (mariglow) that comes with the mini reefs
It's good to have a backnup light. Though I'll probably put it over a frag tank in the future.

I actually ran the stock mariglo over a 160L for a year and my LPS seemed healthy, the growth was slow and the colour simply do not compare to the radions. Especially give the blue and white switches are the extent of controllability.
I'd say that aquaones market was the entry reefer so it doesn't make sense to put a high quality light on the set up which would double the price and discourage buyers. I do love the minireef set up. Hands down excellent value for money.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back