Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all. Looking at adding a few mini-maxi carpets to my system, but worried that they might eat fish. Some people say they are just as bad as haddoni carpets, others say that they only eat dead/dying fish, and others say they have a very weak sting and can't hurt a fly. Which is it, if it's as simple as that? Currently I have two skunk clownfish, a royal gramma, and a few cleaner shrimp, all of which I'd rather not get eaten by an anemone. Thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought tubes had strong stings and outrageous reach with their tentacles. Mistaken?
They may (sting), but the 50 or so odd residents in my tank have never had issues with the pair of tube anemones in the sand bed (zero fish lost in over 2 years).

Nutramar Foods

Mhamilton0911

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is mini maxi the same thing as rock anemone?
No. Very different.

My mini maxi on the left where the shrimp is, and a green rock flower in the middle, just to the left of that rock, and a red one to the right.

I haven't had the mini long, but my fish avoid it. Even the clowns who are really missing the bta and have taken up residence in the Duncan colony instead. The mini lets the sexy shrimp walk all over it without ever trying to eat them. Same with the rock flowers, they let the shrimp graze on them as well.

At this time I'm not worried about it eating any fish.

IMG_20230404_093720224.jpg

Lineatus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost a twin spot goby pair and an algae blenny to maxis in the past. All the fish were healthy, definitely not sick or dying, before being eaten.

It’s ups to you, but there’s always a risk. IMO a skunk clown and gramma might be fine. I’ve only ever lost fish that perch/stay on the sand.

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Kinetics
Back