Mildew smell when I restart pumps

Tigershark22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy!
I recently began noticing a strong mildew smell whenever the pumps restart after feeding. Smell coming from the sump area. Any ideas?

New to the hobby still. Tank only a month old. Haven’t done a water change in a couple weeks because parameters have seemed stable, nitrate & phosphate included.

I’m sure there has been possible spills in the sump cabinet but nothing major and nowhere I can pinpoint the smell while the pumps are running. Potentially inside of drain pipes?
Don’t want to harm the aquatic life in the tank, any advice will be much appreciated!

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Howdy!
I recently began noticing a strong mildew smell whenever the pumps restart after feeding. Smell coming from the sump area. Any ideas?

New to the hobby still. Tank only a month old. Haven’t done a water change in a couple weeks because parameters have seemed stable, nitrate & phosphate included.

I’m sure there has been possible spills in the sump cabinet but nothing major and nowhere I can pinpoint the smell while the pumps are running. Potentially inside of drain pipes?
Don’t want to harm the aquatic life in the tank, any advice will be much appreciated!
Looks like your setup is pretty new only a month or so in? I would expect funky smells for a while. algae and bacteria will be battling for space. As long as you don’t actually see mildew or mold I wouldn’t worry. Nothing should be able to grow in the plumbing. I’ve never had that issue. I do keep some water flowing into my emergency drain.

OP
OP
Tigershark22

Tigershark22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your setup is pretty new only a month or so in? I would expect funky smells for a while. algae and bacteria will be battling for space. As long as you don’t actually see mildew or mold I wouldn’t worry. Nothing should be able to grow in the plumbing. I’ve never had that issue. I do keep some water flowing into my emergency drain.

Okay thank you. I didn’t think about humidity inside the emergency drain. That’s a possibility, nothing flows through it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back