Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My luck with coral is so close to zero that after 12 years I think I am going to convert to a FOWLR tank. Get ride of the more delicate fish and grab some predators. Just doesn't seem to be worth it anymore. As the costs of corals has gone up, and my luck staying the same just feel like I could spend better money elsewhere.

Anyone else ever done this? How important would the alk/calc/mag levels be for a FOWLR tank? Been looking at various triggers, puffers, eels, etc and getting really curious. Figure my 180 could be better served that way.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My luck with coral is so close to zero that after 12 years I think I am going to convert to a FOWLR tank. Get ride of the more delicate fish and grab some predators. Just doesn't seem to be worth it anymore. As the costs of corals has gone up, and my luck staying the same just feel like I could spend better money elsewhere.

Anyone else ever done this? How important would the alk/calc/mag levels be for a FOWLR tank? Been looking at various triggers, puffers, eels, etc and getting really curious. Figure my 180 could be better served that way.
You can pay less attention if you do this to alk-CA-Mag as if you change water will all be replenished. I understand the frustration and the money lost on coral can be shifted to purchasing fish which are also escalated in cost

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
lefkonj

lefkonj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They die, period. I can keep them alive no problems for months at a time, change nothing in my routines and then boom, I lose a bunch of LPS or SPS (I have no luck with that really at all)

AS

Biokabe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a record of what was going on when your corals died? What is your setup like? What is your water source? What is your husbandry schedule?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good idea, I was gonna do the same but kept the corals as they grow like weeds and went with all predators in my tank. I manually dose and havnt tested anything in over 4 months, low maintenance and this has turned into my favorite tank I've owned in the 36 years I've kept aquatic animals.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
lefkonj

lefkonj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms grow like crazy. SPS dies way too quickly so i have given up on that. LPS lives for a bit, sometimes a few months sometimes a year but always goes. Leather coral I have is fine.

Just trying to think about pulling some of the rock out and grabbing some cool fish

Hermie

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fowlr are cool imo especially because the fish you can keep are awesome without having to worry about corals

corals cause so much stress at times

And you can just do some mushrooms or soft corals in a FOWLR, plus coralline will grow even with hardly any dosing or none (just water changes)

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try some Rock Flower Anemones. I really like mine. They add a visual element similar to corals, but not as finicky.
IMG_1799.jpg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

ACC
Back