Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My midas blenny recently jumped out of my qt tank; luckily, I was able to save him. The morning after I noticed his tail was starting to decay or looked like decay. How do I go about this. Water perameters are stable. Just want some pointers/medication tips.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My midas blenny recently jumped out of my qt tank; luckily, I was able to save him. The morning after I noticed his tail was starting to decay or looked like decay. How do I go about this. Water perameters are stable. Just want some pointers/medication tips.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It really depends on the degree of damage. If the fish is otherwise in good health and the damage is relatively minor, the fish can heal on its own.
If you can post a picture or video, we can likely make comparisons to other cases we have seen and direct you to a course of action.
Jay

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Midas blenny (we have 2 now, love those guys) do some floor surfing on top of having some ammonia burn to his gills after a shipping delay.

We did a 10 minute soak in Methylene Blue a few days in a row and he improved immediately. If he has an injury and its external it may help him heal or assist in preventing anything from making the injury worse.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
W

westonreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It really depends on the degree of damage. If the fish is otherwise in good health and the damage is relatively minor, the fish can heal on its own.
If you can post a picture or video, we can likely make comparisons to other cases we have seen and direct you to a course of action.
Jay
IMG_3243.jpeg
IMG_3242.jpeg

Those are the best I could get, still seems to swim and isn’t as bothered as it was yesterday.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3119209View attachment 3119210
Those are the best I could get, still seems to swim and isn’t as bothered as it was yesterday.

That's a pretty severe amount of damage. Tough to see clearly enough to tell if there is an infection going on or not, but the rounded contour kind of leads me in that direction.

Looks like the fish is in a bare quarantine tank? If the tank has a solid bio filter, you might consider dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Kanaplex. Even Maracyn II could work.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back